Old 10-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
River
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to River
Yarn and needle question
I don't have a "yarn" store near i would have to drive 2 hours away. So my question is i do have a Micheal's Hobby Lobby and a Joann's where would you go to get yarn and needles? This is my chance to get out of the house
i am a Stay at home mom and the only time i get out is on the weekends so i would love to find a store that i can go to and touch the yarn and see how it feels. I did hit hobby lobby a few weeks ago to look around and all there needles were 50 percent off. I think they have more of yarn and needles then micheals but i would like to here what everyone else has to say.

River
River is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i have pretty much given up on michaels having what i need unless it is an emergency crochet hook. Hobby lobby has a 40% off one item coupon every other week and every few months has 50% off all "tools." My HL doesn't have the selection of needles they used to have but they do have DPNs, Circs, Straights, and crochet ...they have the needlemaster set and the crochetmaster... they have all sorts of little doodads and goodies to fill your basket with. I stay up every saturday night until midnight just to check the HL ad online and see what the coupon is.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Wherever you decide to go, you might want to call ahead to make sure it's worth the drive. The only large craft type store I've been to recently is Joann's and they had a horrible selection of needles. I felt like I wasted my time going there and it's only about 15 minutes away.

I really think you have a better chance getting what you want if you order online.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You can also look up each week's sales online. HL just has a singe sheet, but JoAnn's and Michael's have the actual print flyers. Check out all of them for their yarn and needle selection, or go to whichever is having the best sale that week.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

My Michaels has a TON of yarn. But all mostly fashion yarn, and not a lot of staple yarns. I have been tending toward simple understated garments lately and Michaels carries mostly the eyelash and suede and tweed and stripes, etc. But they have A LOT. They also have a really good selection of knitting publications.

My Joanns is awful. They have terrible yarn (not the good stuff I hear about from some people that shop JOanns in their own area) and they have like 2 knitting needles and 2 crochet hooks.

We don't have a hobby lobby. I do have an LYS though and they just reopened after having been closed for the summer. And I have my favorite LYS which I visit in Los angeles when we go there.

I am a shop online kinda girl.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Michaels is having a yarn sale this week - all yarn is on sale!!! Most of their stock is the "novelty" yarns, but they do have some Patons Classic Merino, Lion Brand Wool, and Patons SWS (soy wool stripes, yummy!). They also just started stocking an alpaca blend that is sooooo soft...mmm...

I'm not very fond of Hobby Lobby. Their Yarn Bee novelty stuff is the predominant choice, and it's really cheap-y. Some of it's okay, but they have very little "classic" wool yarns. If you check the clearance bins, they might have some WoolEase or Magic Stripes, though.

Joanns has some yarns, but not a lot. It's mostly Lion Brand and their store brand, which is a little pricey, IMHO. I haven't shopped there much, since there's only one in the city where I live.

Do you have a Hancock fabric store in your town? They have some Lion Brand yarns, and I've found that they're better about stocking the new LB yarns like Cashmere blend and Fettucini. Their prices are a bit higher, but they have periodic sales. That's the only place I've found Lion Cotton.

Wal-Mart has some yarn, as well, but it's mostly novelty, with some acrylics and a wool or two thrown in.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote