Old 10-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Mrs. D.
Ribbing the Cuff

New Knitter Circular Needles Need Your Informed Opinions
I want to knit a cap and 90% of the patterns that I find that I have been looking at call for circular needles. I currently don't have any and was wondering if you all think I should invest in them and if I am pretty comfortable knitting on straight needles do you think it necessary to take a course on how to use the circular needles? And if I start to invest in the circular needles should I continue to buy straight needles or can most things be done on circular needles?

I read that if you are making a large project like an afghan that the circular needles are easier on you physically.

Also the double point needles. Should I be investing in those also?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Mrs. D.
“Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.” Martin Luther King, Jr.
Mrs. D. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

What type of needles do you like the most now? I love Boye needles, so that's the circulars I have. Some people don't like them. I think that Addi's are too slick and don't like them, but I can't stand plastic.

So go with what you like, and yes you can do any project that you can do on straights with circulars. And I would get the double points. It's good to learn.

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
I knit on straights for years, but I don't even bother with them anymore. Everything I knit is done on circulars--flat or in the round. Knitting on circulars is the same as knitting on straights--you don't need special instructions.

You can use magic loop method or two circs to knit small diameters, but being able to use dpns is a good skill. It's easiest to learn if you start a hat on circs and when it gets down to too few stitches for the circular needle you switch to dpns. It allows you to see how they work without the awkward first few rows.

I love Addis for my circs, and if I didn't already have so many, I'd go with the Options set from Knitpicks. I like slick metal needles. For dpns, however, I prefer bamboo.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

If you go to the general knitting section, you will find lots of discussions about different kinds of needles. As a beginner, I'd consider an interchangeable set instead before buying too many individual pairs of needles. It's a one time investment that will probably save $ in the long run. I use my interchangeables for pretty much everything, even small diameters (I use magic loop instead of DPNs -- Amy has a video on the site). But other people have different preferences, and reading a variety of opinions should give you a feel for what might be right for you. I know it's a lot to wade through, but I did it and it really helped me in my decision-making.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
Mrs. D.
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the replies. I have been watching the videos for the circular and the dpns and I think I understand the concept of the dpns a little more at this point, so I will get some of those and maybe 1 circular and see what happens. Thanks again.

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.” Martin Luther King, Jr.

Knit-Alongs:

Valentine "Heart" KAL FO

Mrs. D. is offline   Reply With Quote