Old 10-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
susanc
Turning the Heel

How do I avoid laddering with dpns?
Hi all:

I'm making a chemo cap for my aunt and I would like to know of any suggestions you have for avoiding laddering between stitches when using dpns. It occurs at the stitch between the dpns when switching out the needle (I hope this makes sense!). Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I'm a chick with sticks and I'm not afraid to use them!

susanc

http://susanc-yarnnut.blogspot.com
susanc is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

For me, trying to knit looser/tighter/etc. didn't make any difference with that problem. Then I read of staggering the 'joins', and this is how you do it. Knit as usual to the end of the first needle, then with that same needle (ie. the one you just knit onto) knit the first 2 stitches of the needle 2. Then take your empty needle and finish needle 2. At the end of needle 2, continue with that needle and knit the first 2 stitches off needle 3. Take empty needle and complete needle 3. Keep doing this around and around, the joins will be staggered and un-noticeable and you'll have no more ladders. Just be sure to put a marker for the beginning of your round because that will rotate too.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I do what knitqueen said (you said it very well too! )

I also try to never start with a purl, meaning if I have to add more stitches to the needle to get to a knit that's what I do. It gets the # of stitches off a little sometimes but I just work to get it even again. Does that make sense?

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by knitqueen
For me, trying to knit looser/tighter/etc. didn't make any difference with that problem. Then I read of staggering the 'joins', and this is how you do it. Knit as usual to the end of the first needle, then with that same needle (ie. the one you just knit onto) knit the first 2 stitches of the needle 2. Then take your empty needle and finish needle 2. At the end of needle 2, continue with that needle and knit the first 2 stitches off needle 3. Take empty needle and complete needle 3. Keep doing this around and around, the joins will be staggered and un-noticeable and you'll have no more ladders. Just be sure to put a marker for the beginning of your round because that will rotate too.

That is what I do also!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

It also helps to pull the two stitches on either end of the needles super-tight. Twisted stitches also make the joins tighter.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

Tab over to "Advanced Techniques" on this site and scroll down to "Small Diameter Circular Knitting" and look at the two circular needles method. There is nothing, repeat nothing, that works as well to eliminate ladders as switching to 2 circs. The reason is not only because you only have two needles instead of 3 or 4 but also you can tighten the yarn from the last stitch on one needle on the cable thereby making it smaller than a normal stitch. Then when you inevitably stretch the yarn to switch to the other needle, it evens out and becomes invisible.

I did my first pair of socks on dpns and was very disappointed in the ladders. I had tried all the techniques to minimize them also. Then I did a pair on 2 circs and no ladders!
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

Tab over to "Advanced Techniques" on this site and scroll down to "Small Diameter Circular Knitting" and look at the two circular needles method. There is nothing, repeat nothing, that works as well to eliminate ladders as switching to 2 circs. The reason is not only because you only have two needles instead of 3 or 4 but also you can tighten the yarn from the last stitch on one needle on the cable thereby making it smaller than a normal stitch. Then when you inevitably stretch the yarn to switch to the other needle, it evens out and becomes invisible.

I did my first pair of socks on dpns and was very disappointed in the ladders. I had tried all the techniques to minimize them also. Then I did a pair on 2 circs and no ladders!
Old 10-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
candy
Turning the Heel

ladder on dpn
Knitqueen, do you not still get a ladder when you change to the empty needle? do you pull this one tighter?
candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
candy
Turning the Heel

laddering on dpn
I just watched the video on knitting with 2 circular needles. Does that means you have to buy 2 sets of circular needles the same size for all your work? Can you do it on two smaller circular needles than shown in the video?
candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:08 AM   #10
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

Yes, you do need to have 2 sets of needles in the same size. That is the main drawback. They do not however, have to be the same length. You can use one that is 16" and one that is 24". It's up to you. I find this method so much easier and the results so much better looking that I don't even mind having to buy more needles!