Old 10-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Cattrah
Ribbing the Cuff

Is this possible for my experience level?
I have been knitting for about 2 weeks and I have knit a cloth with a cat emblem on it (just alternating knit and perl stitches) in worsted weight cheapo yarn, a sorta lacy looking coaster pouch with a CD inside of it on bulky weight yarn, a tiny little My Little Pony size hat with pom pom on worsted weight cheapo yarn, and a single ankle sock (short row heel/toe) on worsted cheapo yarn.

So that's all my experience, what I would like to attempt to do is make a pair of ankle length toe socks (the kind with separated toes) on super fine weight yarn with feathering (the yarn looks like this )

Why do I want to do that? Because that's what my husband picked out and wanted me to make for him (he picked that yarn because it was soft and he refused to pick out anything else. *sigh*). I think with enough practice on making the toes I could do it, but I just don't know if it's even possible to make those toe socks with all that feathering on such small needles as is needed for decent socks. I knitted a small swatch on size 1 needles and I can't count the stitches for the life of me! I was just kinda knitting blindly hoping I'd catch them all. My biggest problem is that my husband is missing a toe on one foot and I was hoping to be able to modify the pattern I'm using to accomodate that. It doesn't SEEM too difficult but I could be wrong.

In any case, if you think this would be too difficult, are there better suggestions for yarn type or patterns I could practice before trying to real deal?

BTW knitting is fun! I increased my needle collection size from none (I was borowing a pair of size 8s from my friend when she taught me how to knit) to about 40 sets of needles (straight, circular, and dp) and I'm hoping to get another 13 sets this weekend so I'll have all the needles I could need for whatever project![img][/img]
Cattrah is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

I have learned all my best skills on projects I had no business starting! I say go for it.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:17 AM   #3
The Spider
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to The Spider
Even if it turns out a disaster (though I'm sure you'll do just fine), you'll have practiced new techniques that need practicing. Your "finished object" may not be a physical one, but instead it may take the form of new finger memories and increased dexterity to take to your next project.

At least that's what I tell myself when I frog just about every other project I start
The Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

That'll be some super-soft socks!

If you're not quite confident about making socks with that yarn, one thing that's helped me is to make a practice sock with yarn that's easier to see my stitches. That way, when you knit the one "for real," you'll know what to expect.

(and that way, you'll have a new pair of socks for yourself!)
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote