Old 10-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Quiara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Quiara Send a message via Yahoo to Quiara
Observations on socks
I'm knitting a pair of socks for a friend who's had a series of several bad days. She's a knitter, so I know they'll be appreciated -- especially since she hasn't tackled socks yet, thinking they're "too hard." (I'm trying to convince her otherwise.)

Anyhow, I'm knitting one at a time w/my 40" US2 Addi Turbo and somehow, a size 2 just seems kind of "big" for this yarn (Regia jacquard), though I'm not a loose knitter or anything. But I've learned through this particular sock -- despite having knit tons of socks before and never feeling this way -- that I would enjoy making them on size 0 or smaller. This amazed me because I've never thought of myself as someone who would appreciate doing things at a very fine gauge; I love instant gratification. But it just seems like socks would be satisfying on very small needles. What's next? Lace? Seems like my entire knitting worldview is changing just because of one pair of socks.

Wanted to ramble about this a bit and this just seemed the place. What size do you use for your socks?

Find me on as Quiara. ^_^
Quiara is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-21-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I adore knitting socks on size 0, my usual size is 2.5 mm, I would be more than willing to knit smaller than a 0, they would be very sturdy socks, this is certain.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
Julie
Instepping Out

I never thought I'd want to knit on teeny needles, but this sock pattern, when it's released, may change my mind...scroll down about halfway through the post. White sock. Absolutely. Gorgeous.

http://www.knitanon.com/blog/archive...20T001235#more

Old 10-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I read in a book called something like "Cool Feet, Warm Socks" that you should knit socks at the tightest gauge that is possible for the yarn you are using. I have a size 0 needle that I should try socks on, I think they would be much better than others I have made with 1's or 2's.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:52 PM   #5
earthchick
Turning the Heel

OMG, Julie, those socks. WOW! I am drooling.....

I have had this thing for worsted weight socks, thinking they would have a thick, cushiony feel. Well, that, and the fact that when I first started knitting socks in February, I was afraid they would take a very long time on tiny needles and I would be discouraged.

This summer, I did the Simply Lovely Lace Socks from IK Spring 2006 and I fell in love with them. They were lace socks done with fingering weight yarn on size 0 needles. I was surprised at how much I loved working with those teeny little things.

Right now I'm on another pair of worsted weight, but I am definitely planning to use more teeny needles soon.

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

Re: Observations on socks
Originally Posted by Quiara
But it just seems like socks would be satisfying on very small needles. What's next? Lace? ?
As a long time lace knitter I can tell you that you don't have to use teeny tiny needles for lace (thank heavens). Unless you make doilies with thread you can use a size 5 or 6 with laceweight yarn. I used smaller needles for socks than lace.
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
knitncook
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by knitqueen
I read in a book called something like "Cool Feet, Warm Socks" that you should knit socks at the tightest gauge that is possible for the yarn you are using.
Oh I agree!! I made the pink ribbon socks for the Knitting Olympics in KP's Pallette on size 2 (yarn and pattern called for that size) and I was very disappointed. Made them again using size 0 and the next size up on the pattern and loved them. They were a much nicer sock even with the same wool!

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
Quiara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Quiara Send a message via Yahoo to Quiara
Re: Observations on socks
Originally Posted by Calamintha
Originally Posted by Quiara
But it just seems like socks would be satisfying on very small needles. What's next? Lace? ?
As a long time lace knitter I can tell you that you don't have to use teeny tiny needles for lace (thank heavens). Unless you make doilies with thread you can use a size 5 or 6 with laceweight yarn. I used smaller needles for socks than lace.
I just meant what wild urges am I going to have next. ^_^ I've never really been tempted to knit lace -- yet. But at this point, given my entirely random and newfound love for tiny needles, anything is possible.

Find me on as Quiara. ^_^
Quiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #9
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I love lace designs, but I'm not very fond of lace wt yarn!

Julie, those socks are yummy!
I have seen a similar style, just recently, but I don't remember where!!! And, it's driving me much crazier than my norm...that's bad

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #10
Shavon
Casting On

I'm new to this sock thing (for months I was one of those 'socks look too hard' people too!) so my first real pair I'm working on now are with worsted weight, size 6 needles. Which is fine now that winter is approaching, but I know eventually I'll want to try socks on smaller needles. It's just those tiny needles look so intimidating!

I have a question: for those of you who knit socks on small needles, do you use bamboo dpns? I normally like metal circular & straight needles, but I'm loving the wood dpns. It's just hard for me to imagine using wood needles that small, because I feel like I would break them! Has this actually happened to someone, or am I just imagining things? Should I start investing in some tiny metal dpns?
Shavon is offline   Reply With Quote