Old 10-22-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
janie
Ribbing the Cuff

yet another SOCK question
I'm at the part of my first sock where I've divided for the heel and am ready to work the heel flap? Confusion sets in here....turn the heel to the wrong side and begin working back and forth.... For some reason I cannot wrap my brain around that small sentence.

I've looked at a few videos that have been suggested in other threads...I just can't "see" or "grasp" it. I've never had to work the "wrong" side before.

If I can't figure it out, I have the other sock started, I just got tired of K1, P1 and thought I needed a challenge

TIA

Finished one poncho
Finished one felted ugly purse/bag
Working on dishclothes to get my stitches down!
janie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Okay. You know how you've been working in rounds so far? And how the right side has been facing you the whole time? Now, you're going to work the stitches for the first row of the heel like you've been doing. Stop! Before you keep going around, pick up your sock and turn it halfway around, like you would if you were knitting a flat item like a scarf. Now work the stitches on the heel, but this time, the needles are farther away from you instead of on the edge of the sock closest to you.

Here's a picture:
http://www.43things.com/gallery/view...d_image=474805
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

When it tells you to turn your work, do just that. The wrong side will be facing you and you will no longer be working in the round. You will be working back and forth on only the number of stitches that your pattern has designated for the heel. You will be forming a somewhat square shaped flap. Later on, stitches will be picked up from around that square and you will add in the 'extra' stitches (the ones that aren't used when you are making the heel flap) which are the stitches for the instep (the top of the foot), and at that point you will return to knitting in the round.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
janie
Ribbing the Cuff

I think I understand, I just start knitting off the one needle like, posted above, I'm working on a scarf. Now why couldn't I "see" that???

I'll try - the worst that can happen is at knitting class tomorrow, she makes me pull it all out???

Finished one poncho
Finished one felted ugly purse/bag
Working on dishclothes to get my stitches down!
janie is offline   Reply With Quote