Old 10-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
molovekayak
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to molovekayak
how to go from circular needles to finish with double point
hello. I taught myself to knit. I am knitting a beanie hat and have started with a circular needle. Now I cannot go anymore on the circular needles so I have to transfer it to double pointed needles. I have not clue how to. I need help so bad. Please help. I am so frustrated
molovekayak is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
The easiest way is just to start knitting the round onto the first double pointed needle instead of the "right" end of the circular needle.

If the pattern specifies how to divide the stitches among the needles, stop when you get to that number. Otherwise, put about 1/3 of the stitches on each needle (for knitting with four DPNS) or 1/4 per needle (for knitting with five).

When you're done with the round, all your stitches will be on the double pointed needles, and you should have one left over, that you use to start knitting on to. Then when you free the first needle, you use that to knit the stitches from the second needle, and so on.

I use a stitch marker and a needle point protector to mark the beginning of the round on the DPNs, but a hair tie or rubber band would work, too. Just make sure you move the rubber band each time you come to the end of the round.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
BillSpace
1st Leg of the Journey

OK. Take a deep breath and repeat: "I can do it."

There. Now:

Take one double-pointed needle in the same size (width) as your circular. Place DPN in your right hand. Count how many stitches are left on your circular, then divide by three. (So if you have 18 stitches, your answer is 6. If you have a remainder, come up with an answer sort of close; if you have 20 stitches, you can divide the stiches 6, 6, and 8 or 7, 7, and 6; whatever is most convenient to you.) With the circular needle in your left hand, knit that first number of stitches (about a third) onto your DPN.

Now: push the stitches you just knit into the middle of the needle, so there's plenty of room at both tips. This is so they don't fall off as you go to the next step.

Pick up the next DPN in your right hand. You've still got your circular needle in your left hand. Knit the number of needles you think should be on your 2nd needle from the circular to the second DPN. Again, move the stitches to the middle of the needle to keep them from falling off.

Do the same thing with the 3rd DPN and the remaining stitches.

Now all your stitches are on the DPNs. Sigh. Take a short break. You are fine!

Next up, take the fourth DPN, and knit the stitches that are on the first needle. The needle that was in those stitches originally is now free. Put it in your right hand and knit the stitches on needle 2. Keep going like this, using the just-freed needle to knit the stitches on the next needle.

Review Amy's videos on small-diameter circular knitting in the Advanced Techniques tab for more about using DPNs.

Hope that helps.
BillSpace is offline   Reply With Quote