Old 10-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
XbelovedXoneX
Turning the Heel

paton sws complaint
I've used Paton SWS once before for my Anthropologie inspired capelet and Iooooved working with it. Since it was on sale at Michael's I picked some up to make a Sophie bag. I was just winding it into a ball and found that it broke a couple times and I found a knot where two sections of yarn were tied toghether. Rather frusterating! I know it's supposed to have uniqueness due to irregularities, but it seems a bit much. Just thought I'd give a little warning. Do you think I should send an email to the company? I still love this yarn tho!

In the market for Custom Software Development? Have a Security matter that needs addressing? Please check out my husband's company: http://www.netsenseusa.com
XbelovedXoneX is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
jmp3775
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm sure it was just a random thing, but if you would feel better, then email the company. I am working with it right now, and I am on my 3rd skein. The first had 2 knotted sections, but no problems since then. I have had worse with Noro, so the 2 knots dont really bother me.
jmp3775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

I got some for a capelet, and it was tangled in the middle, but I guess that's just part of the yarn.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
XbelovedXoneX
Turning the Heel

This is actually my first yarn where I had to deal with yarn tied together to make the skein the right yardage. I hear it's rather frequent, I just find it so disappointing!

In the market for Custom Software Development? Have a Security matter that needs addressing? Please check out my husband's company: http://www.netsenseusa.com
Old 10-22-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
kevyoga1970
Casting On

Paton SWS
I am making a scarf with Paton's SWS and have gone through 5 skeins. I have only come across 1 knot. However, what I don't like is the "occasional" slubs. They occur about every 50 rows. Slubs are cools if they occur throughout the yarn--gives a cool handmade look. As they have occurred, it kind of looks like a mistake in the knitting.

However, I LOVE this yarn. I love the sheen and feel (almost a little greasy.) It looks like a good silk blend (possibly the soy fibers) but is much more affordable. Also, it splits less than a lot of other low twist yarn.

Oh, and I do get kind of frustrated keeping the color variations going when I change to a different skein. Gotta unwind skeins until the repeat picks up.

But I will keep knitting with it.

Happy, delicious knitting,

Kevin
kevyoga1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
Andrea
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via MSN to Andrea
I loooove this yarn...and I thought I'd never buy yarn at Michaels again

I love it. No knots yet I'm making felted mittens and I cannot WAIT to see them felted up!

No chorus?
Houyhnhnms!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
The Sophie bag is felted so it should be a big problem for this project. Still annoying though I know. I think it's just the nature of the beast a lot of times.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
Knitabit
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm having the same problem with some Bernat Soft Boucle that I'm making a throw blanket with. It won't cause me a big problem, but it does feel like false advertising!

Harumph!

:P
-
Knitabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
XbelovedXoneX
Turning the Heel

I had more bad luck with yarn! I had bought some cheapy, but nice feeling Red Heart Soft... I only knitted maybe 2 inches and I've already dealt with 2 breaks.! It's like it was just wrapped around, not even knotted together. One piece was only maybe a yard long! Arrrrgh. Another thing... that SWS seemed to have stained my Denise needles also!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
cara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to cara
Wow you really are having trouble with the SWS. I have used 3 different colorways for hats and though I have had a couple of knots, which are a pain I didn't have any problem with staining.