Old 10-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
stefcap
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to stefcap
Combined Knitting Help
I just switched from Continental to Combined knitting last week, after seeing Annie Modesitt on Knitty Gritty and am still waiting for her "Knitting Heretic" book to be shipped. I have been dying to make the "Not Quite Straight Scarf", and thought I would give that a go as my 1st Combined Knitting project. I haven't been able to figure out how to increase yet, the directions on Annie's site are really confusing, and Amy's video only included decreases. Can anyone explain increases to me using the Combined method, in terms that a 4 year old would understand. Also has anyone made this scarf using the Combined method and has the pattern that they used modified for Combined. Thanks much!

Here is the link for the scarf pattern:
https://oncourse.iu.edu/access/conte...aightscarf.pdf

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Annie Modesitt is talking about the increase that knits in the stitch below, you can see a short video here, scroll down, it's the "k-b" abbr., Amy has both continental and English demos, but I'm sure you will understand with either. If not, please don't hesitate to say so
Purl st. in the row below is also on the same page, the other column.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

http://www.grumperina.com/table.pdf

This might help too!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

When you get the book, you will see that she does not advocate a complete conversion to combined knitting. Instead, she suggests using it in certain circumstances -- such as ribbing or flat stockinette -- where it's practical and feasible, and gives a better result than continental or english. To be honest, I found the book a bit disappointing, and actually think grumperina's chart is more helpful in spelling out how to do specific things such as increases and decreases. (Even that has it's limits, though; you can search for some old threads on the topic.)

For those times when you don't know how to do something in combined, I think that the simplest solution is to just re-position the stitch as necessary (so it's mounted "correctly") and then proceed as you would if you were using continental.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote