Old 10-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hat Patterns
I've just started my first hat project - hopefully, it'll turn out a straightforward Beanie, knitted on small circ.

The pattern I'm using doesn't seem to need DPNs - (fine by me!)
but could someone please tell me why some hat patterns need DPNs and others just have the circ?

Many Thanks

Limey
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i am curious about the pattern not needing them....seems like it would at the end of the pattern.

The reason for the DPNs is that when you get to the end in the decreases will make the work too small to fit around your circ.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
Julie
Instepping Out

Most hats knit in the round need DPNs (ot two circs, or magic loop) eventually because as the number of stitches decreases at the crown, they won't stretch all the way around say, a 16" circ.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

When you say circ, I assume you mean one normal, 16" circ (or similar). Not magic loop, two circs or what-have-you. I'm guessing that those patterns must not have areas that require small diameters to be knit in the round. Such hats may be knit flat and then seamed, or they may be knit as a tube, and then the top is pulled together like a drawstring bag. The ones that require DPNs probably have decreasing toward the top of the hat.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
knitaddict
Turning the Heel

You'll probably find that you really do need dpn's when you get closer to the top. The only patterns that I've seen that don't were done on 2 circs or with magic loop.

I just made my first toddler hat the other day. I sort of made up the pattern as I went along and it turned out really cute! Have fun!!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
Limey
Turning the Heel

Hi Folks

MANY THANKS for your replies.

This basic hat pattern is knitted on a 16" circ and then decreases are:

R.1: K2 tog. K8 around
R. 2: Knit
R.3: K2 tog. K7 around, etc.

"Continue increases in above manner until K2 tog. around. Cut yarn, pull through live loops twice, weave in ends."

So, you're right, it is like a drawstring. I hope this will turn out to be a good starter basic for someone who's not used to circs.

I'll let ya know and many thanks again for your help.

All the Best

Limey
Old 10-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Given the amount of decreasing it's telling you to do, the 16" circs will probably become too short before you get to the top. (The patterns I was thinking of don't have any decreasing at all.) You may have to use DPNs, two circs or magic loop to finish it off.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Limey
Turning the Heel

Forty eight hours later ..... hat is finished

All of you were right about having to use DPNs - thing is, I don't have any - so I copped out and just did the drawstring bit for this particular hat.

There's a little circular gap left at the top which I can easily cover with a small pom pom. What is very nice is the way the hat has pulled together at the top, it almost looks like a little flower shape.

So, all in all, I'm one happy bunny and I do appreciate the help you gave.

Using a 16" circ when I'm used to a 14" straight (under the arm) took some doing - but seeing that I was going to have to change the way I held the needles, (well, can you imagine? - just trying to get the circ. past my elbow would have landed me at the nearest A&E dept - daft I may be, but reckless with my ribs? - no, definitely not) I decided on knitting Conti and it seemed much easier with the circ. than the straights.

Many thanks again.

Yours, skipping daisies
Limey

xxx