Old 10-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
cara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to cara
do I have to block?
Hi all,

I'm knitting a scarf (basket weave pattern) with patons Rumour (alpaca blend) and it is turning out really nicely.

I am wondering if I should block it before I send it off to it's intended recipient. I mean.. it is a scarf right? so won't it just get all stretched out anyways?

And to block... should you suggest I do.. can I just pin it on my ironing board and spritz it with water to shape it?

Thanks!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
callmesusan
Turning the Heel

blocking
hmmmm Alpaca blend, huh? How much Alpaca? By experience, I am a pretty big fan of blocking if there is any detail to the pattern and if it is natural fiber yarn. It really does transform the piece from a duckling to a swan.

I don't get very fancy with my blocking technique at this point in my knitting career. I let the piece soak in cool water (with some wool wash if you have it, or not!) for a few minutes. Gently squeeze out the excess water and roll it in a towel to get out more water. Then I lay it on a towel on my bed and keep tugging at it until it is the shape and size I want. After that, it pretty much stays where I put it.

I think you will like the results of blocking. It brings out the stitch pattern and gives a finished look. Good luck. I'm sure your friend will love her new scarf made by you.
callmesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Just looking at the specs for this yarn:
http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/...ons-rumor.html

It is actually very little alpaca and most acrylic. So I'm not sure how well it will block, but really it's always worth a try. A basketweave pattern is sort of like a broken rib almost so it likely pulls in some. Blocking would flatten things out so the stitch pattern can stand out a lot better, it just might not stay totally in the blocked state.

By the way I felt that yarn at the store not too long ago and it is VERY soft .
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

I am a blocking fanatic. But I don't get fancy either. I use the iron board/spritzing/pinning technique. It made the difference in my mom's sweater, which just looked kinda cool when it finished, to really looking like a professional garment.

I know knitty.com has a great article on different kinds of blocking!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

With 84% acrylic, I'm not sure I would bother blocking. It might make some improvement but I don't think it will stay that way.

Normally, with alpaca I would say to pin and spritz because alpaca has a tendency to stretch if it gets really wet but with only 15% I'm not sure that would be a big problem.
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote