Old 10-27-2006, 04:37 AM   #1
HamburgKnitter
Knitting the Flap

First time with DPNs
I'm still in the middle of my knitting emergency: first scarf is done & the stash I ordered hasn't arrived. I won't be ordering from that company again!

Wednesday I practiced by making the little heart pattern for beginners in Stitch 'n Bitch.

Yesterday I decided to get brave and on my way home from the office I picked up some DPNs to fit the leftover yarn from my scarf. I sat down last night and decided to make myself a hat, figuring that it doesn't matter what it looks like, because it's just for practise. I'm not a hat person anyway.

Well, if I would have filmed myself wrestling with those needles I'm sure some of you would have gotten a big kick out of it. Whoever said that working with DPNs is like wrestling with an octopus is SO RIGHT!

Casting on and distributing the stitches: no problem. The first time I started knitting the wrong way around, so it meant I wasn't knitting in the round, just on three attached needed. The second time around I managed to figure THAT part out. I got past the ribbing, past the increases - of which I managed to make two too few for some reason and then took a look at what I had knitted. Obviously several stitches had fallen off the needles without me noticing, and I kept getting the needles stuck in my sleeve.

Anyway, it was a pretty hilarious evening and had me giggling. I frogged everything and will try again tonight - this time for real.

One serious question though: how do I avoid those really big stitches where I switch from one needle to the next - do I just need to try to make that stitch especially tight by tugging on it? You could see perfectly in the ribbing where the in-between needle stitches were.

As a newbie, I think it's fun to try things that are maybe a little too advanced for me. I just have to remember not to buy wonderful, expensive yarn for the "experiments" or to really expect to knit something that is wearable....

Still trying to convince Henry the cat that knitting is a spectator sport!
HamburgKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-27-2006, 07:21 AM   #2
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

Re: First time with DPNs
Originally Posted by HamburgKnitter
One serious question though: how do I avoid those really big stitches where I switch from one needle to the next - do I just need to try to make that stitch especially tight by tugging on it?
I'm sorry that your first time with dpns was so frustrating, but i'm glad that you could sit and giggle about it.

The reall big stitches are often called "ladders" because that's what they look like... a big ladder running up the side of your hat. To avoid them, i try to tug pretty tight on the second stitch i put on the needle. I find that tugging tight on the first stitch doesn't do much because it's pretty lose by the time i get done with the second stitch. so i tug after the second stitch.

Good luck working on the hat tonight!!!
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
HamburgKnitter
Knitting the Flap

Thanks! I'll try that!

And....my stash arrived today! The weekend is saved!

Still trying to convince Henry the cat that knitting is a spectator sport!
HamburgKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:43 AM   #4
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

Re: First time with DPNs
Originally Posted by SandraEllen
The reall big stitches are often called "ladders"....To avoid them, i try to tug pretty tight on the second stitch i put on the needle.
I do that, too. It works well for stockinette stitch, but not so well for ribbing. Another trick is to finish off the stitches on a needle A, then using that same needle do two sts from needle B. Switch to the empty dpn and finish off the sts on needle B and do two of the sts on needle C. Switch to the empty dpn and finish off the sts on needle C. Continuing in this fashion keeps the "loose" sts constantly moving preventing ladders.

IOW if you have ten sts on each needle, do the ten on the first needle, drop the empty dpn, and then add two sts from the next needle on the first needle. At that point, grab the empty dpn and do the 8 sts on the current needle, drop the empty dpn, and do two more from the next needle, and so on and so forth.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

I've found that after a while of use the ladders mellow out a bit. The first hat I made on DPNs had really bad ladders, but now you have to look closly to tell.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Congrats for trying anyhow!!! It's always hard the first few times but you'll get used to dpns and come to love them (I think, I did)!

Yeah, pulling harder on the 2nd stitch helps, I pull tight on both then ease off on the third stitch... but! you don't want to be pulling hard like crazy, that will be a drag too. I also usually (not always) do what Yarnlady does, keep the stitches moving around the needles, sometimes 2 sometimes 4.
I also found I'm better off using a marker or I get confused. Is that confusing?

They're just such challenging little devils you want to beat them. Now when I'm not using some I really miss them and start another sock or hat.
good luck! Best to begin on them when you're feeling sharp too, not tired!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote