Old 10-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #11
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
I don't think you necessarily need to get a huge overhaul right away. Why not just buy pieces as you find them? I think I'd rather take my time and build up a solid wardrobe than trying to get everyting all at once and possibly making some compromises by doing so.
I so agree with this. Plus, if you buy a whole new wardrobe all at once, you might not wear half the stuff. Better to buy pieces as you find them and slowly incorporate them into your daily wear. That way you can get used to it. I used to be a strictly jeans and t-shirt/sweatshirt kind of gal. Now I like dressing nice.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #12
Mama Bear
Turning the Heel

If you don't mind a little mail, sign up for the Coldwater Creek catalogs. The web site doesn't give you the same "outfit" looks as the paper catalogs. Even if you don't buy from them it will give you some ideas on how to pull an outfit together with different pieces.

Start with a one or two outfits you really love, then slowly add pieces you can switch out with those as you find more and have time to really find your personal style.

Mama Bear

Knit-Along For A Cause: lucybug.org
Mama Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #13
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
Stine, I have this fear that growing up means I can't wear jeans and t-shirts all the time anymore. I have probably half a dozen skirts I bought when I realized all I own is jeans...but I don't wear them. I have maybe three nice pairs of pants that I wear to work sometimes, but most of the time I wear scrub pants and t-shirt. I'm pretty much hopeless. The co-op job I'm (hopefully) getting this summer won't make me dress nicely, either.

What Not to Wear is hard for me to watch. I have a problem watching things where people get embarrassed and that seems to happen on that show. I don't actually have advice (would you really take fashion advice from a girl who goes to class in pajamas?), I just wanted to ramble.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:14 PM   #14
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Cate, all the production folks I work with wear jeans and sneakers pretty much every day. Editorial and marketing usually dress nicer, but all the creative departments (design, art, production--you know, the Mac users ) dress down. And my friend is a graphic designer, and I don't think he has to dress up. Sneaky way to wear comfy but nice pants are cords!

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #15
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
Yeah, but cords make that noise when I walk.
Hey, I qualify as a Mac user now! Maybe I'll never have to give up my jeans!

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #16
Dilly
2nd Sock, I Rock

When you go shopping, it you go somewhere that isn't a department store, there will be sales people to help you out. Explaining to them what you are looking for might be helpful. Even if you explain the situation, but can't clearly define the styles you would like to wear, they should still be able to help you. They know what they sell in their stores, and what goes with what, and should be able to help you put together an outfit or two that will go with some of the things you already have at home.

If you have a couple of pieces in your wardrobe that fit you nicely and you still won't mind wearing for awhile, start by building on those pieces. That way, you can build up your new wardrobe a bit faster than starting everything from scratch.

Another thing that might be helpful would be to take a friend shopping with you, especially if it is a friend whose clothing and fashion sense you like. Friends tend to be a bit more honest about how an item fits or how the colour looks on you than a sales person might be.

Good luck with your new wardrobe and let us know how things turn out!

Dilly -- Queen Snow-Geek the Pickle, Defender of Pigs
Originally Posted by AnreeAce
I'm a very busy person. Would I take the time out of my schedule to make your life miserable if I didn't care?
Dilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #17
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Do you have a friend whose fashion you admire? Why not ask them to go shopping with you? I consider myself pretty fashionable (well, I do!), and I'd love for any of my friends to take me with them shopping to help them choose their clothes. You can still wear nice jeans with a nice fit, a nice top, and fashionable boots with low heels and it will look very adult. Always wearing sneakers, maybe not, but sometimes some up-to-the-minute sneakers look good, too.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:47 PM   #18
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Some hints:

1. High-waist trousers don't make your waist look smaller; they make your bum look bigger. Try a style that hits below your waist just a bit.

2. Tapered-leg trousers don't make your legs look slimmer; they also make your bum look bigger. Try a boot-cut or wide-leg trouser or jean; boot-cut means it's as wide at the foot as it is at the knee.

3. Try some of the longer, more tailored T-shirts that are out there these days. (Hooray for covered midriffs!) Old Navy has some good ones.

4. If you can fit your fist in a short-sleeve without stretching the fabric, that's a no. Less fabric (without being skin-tight) means slimmer-looking.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #19
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,798 Times in 7,158 Posts
I'm almost 54 and jeans and T's are a staple of my wardrobe...

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #20
nikic
Ribbing the Cuff

You can make jeans and a shirt look good, as long as you get the right kinds, and pair it with a sexy shoe (like a kitten heeled boot would be comfy for a busy mom)

What Not To Wear has a website where you can browse through the past shows outfits.

For a budget your best bet is to hit sales. Places like Ann Talor Loft, The Limited , BR all have really good sales at the end of the season. Other places are Old Navy, Target, Marshalls/TJ Maxx, H&M. Forever 21 and Delias have great accessories. You'd be surprised. You can also get basic tees with a little flair on sale at Express and Gap. Keep a watch on like the BR websites for sales, and Delias has a good one too.

You'd probably want to start with a pair of sexy jeans, dark, boot cut. Then add a pant and a skirt you'll wear. Or khakis, but cute ones. A crisp blouse, shirt, and a sweater and you're all set. I'd try to stick with either all brown or black if you're on a budget. You have to have a great shoe and bag. Flats are in now, so a black flat would be great. They are all over. Target is having lots of sales on them now.
nikic is offline   Reply With Quote