Old 10-26-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
Curlykat
1st Leg of the Journey

OT - New job & pregnancy
I just wanted to get another opinion on an issue I'm (potentially) facing, so hope y'all can help me out!!

DH and I are trying to get pregnant, but an opportunity has arisen in which I have a VERY good chance at getting a new job which is 3 minutes down the road (rather than a 45-minute commute) and pays $3 more per hour.

In Ontario, a woman has to work for her employer for 13 weeks to be able to get maternity benefits, so I'd definitely be able to get in my 13 weeks (considering I'm not even pregnant yet!!).

Now here is the dilemma: would you take a job, knowing full well you're planning to leave for a whole year, next year, if everything goes according to plan?? The new job would be at a small dental office, so it isn't the kind of place where people come and go all the time.

Sigh. Advice needed. Knitters - weigh in, please!!
Curlykat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
ebrperk
Knitting the Flap

I would say if you only have to work there 13 weeks to get maternity benefits go for it. If you are only a few minutes away from home maybe you could work part time if you wanted and still go home to see the baby at lunch or something like that.

Everybody is somebody elses weirdo.

OTN--Branching Out Scarf
OTN--Naga Socks
ebrperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
I would say take the job. You have no real idea how long it will take you to get pregnant and it would stink to lose out on that opportunity if it takes you some time to get pregnant.

I am probably the HR person's least favorite person for making that kind of suggestion but seriously....if you got pregnant "accidentally" it would reeeeeeeally be a different situation for them.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Curlykat
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by brendajos
I would say take the job. You have no real idea how long it will take you to get pregnant and it would stink to lose out on that opportunity if it takes you some time to get pregnant.
This is what DH says, but I guess I just would feel bad for this poor little dentist, who thinks he's hiring someone to be a good employee and then all of a sudden, I take off for a year!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Just my humble opinion but I'd say go for the new job. If it's much closer to home and it pays more, why not? If you're planning on working through the pregnancy, you will appreciate that shorter commute greatly as you get farther along and you're tired at the end of the day (I had a 2 hour commute each way when I was pregnant the first time...it's no picnic!). It's true that you're looking to leave not so long in the future if things go according to your plan, but think about the fact that the same thing could happen if you took this job and you and your husband maybe weren't planning for a pregnancy (maybe a little "surprise" happened), and you'd have to leave in that circumstance, too? I'm all for trying to be fair to an employer, but you also have to consider what will work best for you and your family, too. Plus, if you're considering maybe going back to work and they would hold the job for you, it will be nice being so close to home. Just my humble opinion, though. Good luck!

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #6
Quiara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Quiara Send a message via Yahoo to Quiara
I agree with everyone else. It really just makes good sense. Plus, $3 more/hr = MORE YARN MONEY. How can you say no?

Find me on as Quiara. ^_^
Quiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
Curlykat
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Quiara
I agree with everyone else. It really just makes good sense. Plus, $3 more/hr = MORE YARN MONEY. How can you say no?
Oooh, you bad, bad person, you! I just sorted out my meager stash and have realized that I have inherited, through various places/people, a really crappy bunch of acrylic. Need more, and better, yarn!!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #8
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Originally Posted by Curlykat
Originally Posted by Quiara
Oooh, you bad, bad person, you! I just sorted out my meager stash and have realized that I have inherited, through various places/people, a really crappy bunch of acrylic. Need more, and better, yarn!!!!

okay that just sent me into a fit of giggles...
Old 10-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
Quiara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Quiara Send a message via Yahoo to Quiara
I'll just sit here quietly and pet the mmmmmmalabrigo I got in the mail today. *pet pet* Not that I'm trying to tempt you or anything . . . Not me. Nope. *petpet*

Find me on as Quiara. ^_^
Quiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #10
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I personally would have some qualms about it. I don't think he can legally ask you about that sort of thing, but I would want to be up-front about my future availability anyway. For all you know, he may appreciate your honesty so much that it works in your favor. (Who doesn't want an employee with that quality?) Then again, that might blow it right there. But you know, that's just me, and it's easy for me to say that when I'm not close to the situation. I can't help but think that if I were the employer, I'd feel frustrated (even deceived), if my employee had to leave after a short time, especially if I found out later that it wasn't an "accident."

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote