Old 10-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
candy
Turning the Heel

Math, can I do it
My pattern calls for Merino Aran 18sts and 26rows =4" the back has 79sts. the finished sized is 34". My question is, if I changed the yarn to 20sts=4" and cast on the same stitches will my pattern turn out ok with 31.6" finished or will the pattern be too far off. My sweater that I wear is 32" finished when I lay it flat on my bed But when I measure myself I am 34" I can't figure it out because the sweater is not tight at all. I just don't want a big baggy sweater. I did not go to weight watchers to hide my self.
candy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Some patterns have what's called zero or negative ease, others may have an inch or two ease. That means it's either snug or loose (or very). Your 32" sweater may stretch a little and be slightly formfitting. If the pattern has another size, you may want to knit it rather than the 34". You might cast on 6 or 8 stitches more for the next size up, but with a tighter gauge, you may get one that's somewhere between 31.6" and 34".

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Your sweater probably stretches out a bit on you when you wear it. I usually measure the clothes I like rather than myself. I doubt that less than 1/2 an inch will make that much difference.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
candy
Turning the Heel

sweater measurement
I measured the sweater again and it is one of those sweaters you get a different size every time. If I just measure it flat it is 32" but if I swipe my hand across to straighten it then it is a 34" I think to be safe I will make it finished 34".If I make the extra small it will be finished 35" cast on 79sts and 18sts =4", or should I fuss with trying to drop a needle size from 4.5mm to 3.5mm to make it 19sts=4" then it will be finished 33.2"OR is it easier to just get yarn that is 20sts=4" and make one size larger cast on 83sts with will then be finished 33.2 I have never tried dropping a needle size to change a sweater size. My only concern is I have to follow a chart and if I try 3.5 mmand it is not right then I have to try 4mm and do it again. But if I just change to 20sts=4" then I know it will be 33.2" if I make the one size larger. Would the sweater look totally different with the 20sts=4"? and because there is a chart and when I start a the armhole I have to finish at a 12 row or 24 row will it not turn out because I used 20sts=4" What do you think ladies, have I confused you? I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't want it bigger than 34" and which is the best way to do it , drop a needle size or buy yarn with more sts per inch.Here is my pattern
Old 10-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #5
candy
Turning the Heel

sweater size
http://magknits.com/May06/patterns/argyle.htm
Here is the pattern again, I am so sorry to keep asking but I guess I am trying to save myself some time since there is a chart to follow. Which is better to do? Buy yarn 20sts=4" and make the one size larger(cast on 83sts) and then it will be finished 33.2" OR cast on the 79sts for the xtra small and drop a needle size to try and get 19sts=4" then I will have finished 33.2" The end result is the same size but I am wondering if the sweater will look different with the 20sts=4" and will it make to rows too different since there is a chart and I have to finish with a 12row or a 24row for the armhole. And if you say to drop a needle size what should I drop it too? It calls for 4.5mm should I drop to 4mm or 3.5mm I have never dropped a needle size before. I have always used the yarn the pattern called for and the needle size it calls for. My stitches per inch have always been correct.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
I think you're best bet is to drop a needle size or two--however many it takes to get gauge. It's hard to say how many, since each person's knitting is different.

This way you'd know for sure what size you're going to end up with.

I personally like my sweaters looser, so I tend to lean that way. I always figure I can wear a sweater that's loose but never wear one that's too tight.

If you want to stick with the 20 per 4, I wouldn't worry too much about where you end the armhole and such. You can do that by inches. Patterns often specify where to end on a chart to make it easier to keep track. You can keep track of any changes that you make to suit your size.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
candy
Turning the Heel

I am going to drop a needle size like you suggested