Old 10-26-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
dora little
Casting On

yay im staying/garder stitch pattern
ive decided to stay!! and im going to learn how to purl if its the last thing i do!!, i know this might sound silly but are there any scarf patterns that i can do using garder stich??
dora little is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

A very simple scarf pattern would be to cast on stitches for the approximate width of the style of scarf you like (fewer stitches for a skinny scarf, more for a wider scarf, it will also depend a bit on the thickness of the yarn you are using) and knit away in garter stitch until you reach the length you of scarf you desire! What's nice about garter stitch is that you can use more easily use a novelty type yarn to make a fancier scarf. Some novelty yarns like Fun Fur can be tricky to work with at first, so it might take a bit of practice. Some people find it easier to work with a novelty yarn when you "carry" it with another plain type of yarn, just knitting them together as if they were one strand of yarn.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
glad to read you are staying and remeber if you need any help just ask

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I'm happy to hear that you are staying

You can create a scarf in garter stitch just by knitting along without a pattern! Cast on sts until you reach the width that you would like for a scarf and begin knitting, when you reach the length you want, then bind off and then maybe add some fringe!

Here is a pattern, another, and another. And here is a design your own scarf tutorial. Enjoy

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Don't worry, dora, you'll get it! It took me a while to learn to purl as well. I found the book "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting & Crochet" very helpful. Just remember to start with the yarn in front of your work. Oh, and always ask a lot of questions! This is the nicest forum ever for questions.

As far as garter-stitch scarves go, have you seen scribble lace before? This particular pattern calls for stockinette stitch, but garter stitch will work fine. Another option would be using a fine yarn on big needles to make a wispy sort of scarf, or you could knit on the bias (make a slanted scarf by increasing at one end and decreasing at the other).
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:15 AM   #6
callmesusan
Turning the Heel

garter stitch
Another fun idea is to cast on 23 stitches. Knit every row (garter stitch) until it is as long as you want it. When it is time to bind off, drop every other stitch and bind off the rest of the stitches. The dropped stitches will unravel allllllllllll the way down and create a lacy effect!

Hang in there. I think the purl stitch is awkward for just about everyone. It will get easier, I promise. I once read that the purl row is called the "resting" row. I thought, REST!! It stresses me out!!! Now that I have been knitting for a year--and a knitting fool I am--I appreciate the "rest" the purl rows offer.

Cheers!
callmesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
projectgal
1st Leg of the Journey

Quote:
Another fun idea is to cast on 23 stitches. Knit every row (garter stitch) until it is as long as you want it. When it is time to bind off, drop every other stitch and bind off the rest of the stitches. The dropped stitches will unravel allllllllllll the way down and create a lacy effect!
Love this idea! Quick, easy, mindless knitting!

projectgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
callmesusan
Turning the Heel

garter
I forgot to give credit to Margit Lohrer at Morehouse Farm. The idea is in her beautiful book Merino Knits. I hope I didn't infringe on her copyright!!!! She seems generous with her patterns. GULP.

I do recommend her book highly, their yarm is awesome, and her customer service is what I look for in a supplier. I have made several things from her book with fabulous results, and I love her approach to knitting.
callmesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I'm so glad you decided to stay! Welcome to the forum!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote