Old 10-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Lizzie
Casting On

curling scarf
Hi,
I am a 3 week new knitter. I am in the middle of making a green and black scarf with 100% acrylic yarn and it is curling in on both sides.
I was trying to figure out how to block it so it would not curl when I finish it, but it looks like if there are no natural fibers blocking wont work.
Is there any thing I can do or should I start again with a yarn with natural fibers?
Thanks,
Lizzie
Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

What stitch pattern are you using?? If it's stockinette (knit one row, purl one row) it will curl no matter what. There's not much getting around it unless you put a substantial border around it of a non-curling stitch pattern. Garter Stitch, seed stitch/moss stitch are ones that come to mind that make a good border.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Lizzie
Casting On

Yes, I am knitting a row and purling a row. How would I go about adding a substantial border? I know so little about what I am doing.
Thanks,
Lizzie
Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

There are two ways. One is to knit a border on as you are working the scarf. So if you are doing knit one row, purl one row, right from the start you could add something like 5 stitches (entirely depends on how wide your scarf is to begin with) of garter stitch on either side. So you would knit the first and last 5 stitches of EVERY row. That would make a garter stitch border with the rest of the scarf being stockinette.

Or, once the scarf is complete, you could pick up stitches (about 3/4 way down the page that I linked) along the entire length and add a border that way.

Either way, stockinette has a VERY strong tendency to curl, sometimes even with a border added. These are things you can try but there's no guarantee that it is going to work, unfortunately. Also, here is a thread that discusses at length different suggestions that people have for overcoming the problem.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote