Old 10-28-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
CarrieAnn0413
Casting On

I want to learn to knit. Currently Clueless
I have recently started using cloth diapers on my daughter and have bought a couple wool diaper covers. I would love to make my own along with scarves and cute stuff for my DD. I have never knitted. My grandma crochets but I don't know how different that is from knitting. I was going to go to my local craft store (Joann Fabrics) and look for some supplies but I have no clue what to buy. Is the yarn labelled as far as what it is (cotton, wool, etc...) are there different types of needles? Which ones do I need to buy? I need some suggestions on getting started.

Thanks in advance
CarrieAnn0413 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Cristy
Instepping Out

This website is loaded with good videos on how to do different techniques. The first thing you will need to learn to do is cast on and determine which method of knitting you'd like to try--I knit continental but you can also knit using the english method. If you clink on the tabs that says getting started and basic techniques you'll find everything you need to know to get started. When it comes to yarn--all you need to know is on the label--usually your pattern will tell you what type of yarn, including the correct weight (also listed on the label) to use. It will also give you the needle size that you need. The best thing you can do as a beginning I think is ask lots of questions and watch the videos on this site over and over and over. Just take it slow and don't get frustrated. Good luck!

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
DreamWeaver
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DreamWeaver
Knitting is quite confusing at first. But it get easier over time, don't worry

Okay for your first question:
Crochet is a little bit like knitting, meaning it's all about string and making stuff. But crochet uses only one hook and the fabric is quite tight and not-flowy. Knitting uses two needles, one holding loops and one making new loops on it. Knitting has more flow than crochet, which is why I perfer it.

Second Question:
Yarn is labled in many different ways (they still confuse me ^_^;. There is the brand of the yarn, they type of yarn (wool, cotton, ext.), how to wash it, the gauge, exetera exetera. For now, you can just pay attentian to what type of yarn it is

Third question:
Yes, there are different kinds of needles, in sizes and materials.
Wood Needles: these come in many different flavors, including rosewood, mahogany, and bamboo. These are good for beginiers (I think) because they're nice and stiky, so you don't have to worry about dropping stithes. I like them, they were the first needles I ever bought.
Meatal Needles: I have just recently fallen in love with these needles. They're slippery so I can knit faster, and they come in lots of pretty colors. But I think they're better for more experianced kniters, because they made me drop A LOT of stiches.
Plastic Needles: these are kinda middle ground. They're not too sticky and not too slippery. They're also very cheap and flimsy, so don't hang from a clif with them.
The number of the needle depends how thick or thin it is. For meteric and US sizing the larger the number the thicker the needle. But for UK the larger the number the smaller the needle.

I hope that answerd all of your questions. Just ask if you have any more, the ladies (and select few guys) are very nice

FO's: Just finished both of my pink socks. Nothing fancy, but alright.
WIP: Nothing. It's so depressing
Up Next: Purse for my friend (still need to get yarn)
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
nicoleheather
1st Leg of the Journey

Welcome, CarrieAnn!
Try going to this link:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/getting_started/
and scroll down a little to the part that says Your First Project and Knitting Tips, which give good suggestions for buying yarn/needles, etc.
I personally would recomend using white worsted weight yarn with size 10 or 11 needles, because I find it easier to see what I'm doing w/ white yarn.
In the basic techniques section, you'll see videos giving instructions for knitting, the knit stitch and the purl stitch. A good first scarf project is to cast on 12 stitches, knit or purl every row (called garter stitch), continue until long enough, bind off, and fringe if you want. Amy has made some great videos that show exactly how to do all these things. That's how I learned.
Enjoy your knitting! It's a great, relaxing hobby! :D

FOs-
Queen Silvia Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia
Something Red
Ingenue

WIPs-
Ivy Wrap Sweater
Celtic Pullover
Leyburn Socks

I'm nicoleheather on Ravelry, too!
nicoleheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

CarrieAnn, I would start with some wool yarn in a relatively light color (e.g. not black or navy) so you can see the stitches. Cotton is a little tricker to work with, because it doesn't stretch very well. Wool is much more flexible when you're first starting.
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Momma_Jo
1st Leg of the Journey

I would start with a bulkier yarn and thus bigger needles - that way it's very easy to see stitches, and you can also whip up a simple garter/stockinette stitch scarf in a few hours.
Momma_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

Here is a tutorial on how to make a soaker

http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/soakers/pattern/

and until you get some practice knitting, you can also make wool soakers out of felted (shrunken) wool sweaters!

http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column2.html
Old 10-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
losnana
Working the Gusset

OT sorta- I've seen several references to "soakers" on this site and gather that they go over cloth diapers. Do they take the place of the "rubber pants" that we used years ago ? My "baby" is 35, so I'm talking quite a while. Just curious.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
CarrieAnn0413
Casting On

wow, thanks for all the help. I will check out the links and there is a lot here to look at. I am going to look online for needles and maybe run to the store this week and see what I can find to start my first project. I am so excited. I just bought a new winter coat and want to make a scarf to go with it. If I can make that then on to a soaker!

And yes a soaker is a cover that goes over the cloth diaper. They are very breathable and a natural material. which is why I am trying them out.

Thanks again everyone
CarrieAnn0413 is offline   Reply With Quote