Old 10-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
Elza_B
1st Leg of the Journey

Stripes scarf - what's the best way to change color?
I always want to ask this question, especially now Christmas is coming. Stripes scarf is easy to knit and always looks attractive.

What's the best way to change colors? I've watched several videos and read tons of books about stripes scarf - the advice is to tie a knot and then weave in the ends as you work. I tried this on a sample scarf for myself with some leftover yarns and I had to admit this method was not the greatest. There is also an advice that I read from "Knit Fix" - is to carry the unused yarn up the side of the work. But if I want to knit stripes with 3 different colors - this is not going to work when I get to the 3rd color.

Does anybody have any great idea that works? Thanks!
Elza_B is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
If you knit your scarf in the round, then all the ends and knots can be on the inside, never to be seen again! It will be double-sided, double warm, and have nice color changes all the way around.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

If you use a feltable fiber, such as non-superwash wool, you can make felted joins. I've done that for a multi-color scarf (yet unfinished -- ha!) and it's really nice not to have any ends to weave in. (See Amy's instructions for "how to.")

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote