Old 10-28-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
Liliyarn
Turning the Heel

2nd wheel
I am a self enabler. DH helps too. He's never hesitant about insisting on furthering my fiber persuits (short of bringing home livestock). Dad helped too. He bought me a drum carder, Pat Green! So it freed up enough cash to get a Lendrum. I now officially have a wheel collection. I'm waaay too pooped to give it a spin. So, I'll be playing with it tomorrow. Needless to say SAFF was awesome.
Liliyarn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
itsbecca1979
Knitting the Flap

I wish I could just afford 1!

Wife to Jerm 11/21/97
Mommy to
Rachelle~8
Issac~6
Ethan~4
Lucas~1

OTN: Wool longies for Lucas
Urban Whatever Hat
itsbecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Liliyarn
Turning the Heel

I saved for a few months just so I could get this one. Who needs to eat right? And like I said, dad bought the pat green, plus DH chipped in a bit.

It is soooo worth the money. I adore this work horse wheel.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

Congrats and enjoy!!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

Liliyarn... congrats on the new wheel! What are you other wheels or have you posted that before? The Lendrum looks beautiful. Let us know how it compares in case I ever get the $ to get one!

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Lily,
Congrats on your 2nd wheel! I see from your blog you purchased it from Susan. Isn't she a wonderful lady! When DH Paul wanted to buy me a wheel, he called Susan and she shipped out my DT Traveler and let Paul make payments. She was on hand to advise him to get me a PG Carder (Deb's Deluxe).

Why did you need a screwddriver to change flyers from your lace to regular to plying?? I just have the regular & jumbo flyers and use the maiden for the jumbo. All I need to do is remove one flyer for the other, no tools needed.

My 2nd wheel was one I don't use too much. It works well, but she's more for show than anything else. It's dated back to the mid 1800's, an Irish style Saxon.

I did pick up a 70's era Traddy for $100 at the Moon Spinners Fiber Fest in Orangeville IL this past spring (silent auction)

Muller's Lane Farm
Our Lessons in Homesteading
mullerslanefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:37 AM   #7
Liliyarn
Turning the Heel

Cyndi is yours a double drive or single drive travie? Mine is double drive. Is it just me or does the double drive require me to take the mother of all base off as the whorls are in the front instead of in the back. I could not get it to work like a single drive, which would require only changing the maiden. Hence I need a screw driver to unscrew the base plate. Or just leave it unscrewed and pop it off. (Either way, it was a great excuse to get another wheel. )

I'm a lazy spinner. So the Lendrum makes everything effortless and I love it for that aspect. The Travie will be used for regular flyer and for plying at home. It will also look pretty in the living room, so I'm still satisfied with it.

I do plan on writing up reviews of the Ashford Traveller Double Drive DT and Lendrum. I'm just gonna spin on the Lendrum a while longer before posting it. I will also put up a review of the Pat Green drum carder, but it's the only carder I've used so I don't have much experience to compair it with anything.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Lily,
I have a double treadle with an optional double drive or scotch tension flyer. The whorls are on the far side, opposite the yarn orifice. I have seen some Traveler double drive with the whorls on the near side. My wheel was new 4 years ago. It has the same flyer set up as my 70's era Traditional with scotch tension.

http://www.susansfibershop.com/ashford.htm If you scroll down to the Traditional Jumbo Double Drive, you'll see how my flyers are set up.

Enjoy your Lendrum!

I love my drum carder - it has made life so much faster! Still can't get the hand of drum carding alpaca, but wools are a breeze.

Muller's Lane Farm
Old 11-01-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
Liliyarn
Turning the Heel

Well this is frustrating...Mine to recap is a double drive scotch tension option. I've set it up as single drive. The regular flyer has the whorls located on the back opposite the orifice. The Jumbo and lace flyer have the whorls set up at the front near the orifice. So when I need to switch from regular to lace or jumbo I have to take the base plate off and re-install the new base plate that positions the flyers up front.

It really makes no sense and is time consuming. I also fear that one day I'll split the wood. So, I decided to choose a flyer and stick with it. Keep the others just in case I really need them.

Learning experience:

When looking at a wheel, even if you aren't going to get the options, ask about the process of changing the whorls and flyers. Make sure it's not a hassel. If the salesperson says, "Screwdriver" then it's probably gonna be time consuming.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
mullerslanefarm
Turning the Heel

Sounds like you got the Basic Jumbo Flyer kit instead of the Traditional Jumbo Flyer kit. No wonder it's such a hassle! Bummer. Perhaps you can sell the one you have and get the correct one? Give Susan a call and see what she says.

Muller's Lane Farm