Old 10-23-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
candy
Turning the Heel

yarn to substitute
I have finally found a pattern I like on knittingpatterncentral.com and it calls for Jaeger extra fine merino aran 50gm Is that wool? I can't wear wool so I need some suggestions on what yarn to buy. I have never learnt my yarns and I find it difficult to switch to something else. I usually get what the pattern calls for. Also, the only gauge is given after blocking, 18sts and 26 rows in cable pattern to 4" using larger needles. The pattern is under women's sweaters and it is called argyle v neck sweater, third down from the left(red) What do you think? Can I just buy yarn that says 18sts =4" I have not made a sweater in 20yrs and am very nervous about starting. It even has a chart to follow(hope I can remember how to do it)
candy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-23-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
An aran weight yarn is a heavy worsted weight. www.yarndex.com is a good place to search for substitutes.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
candy
Turning the Heel

yarn substitute
Is this how you buy your yarn? No wonder I can't find anything here in the small shop in town. So heavy worsted means 18sts =4"? and is that different because they said 18sts over pattern? How can you tell the true colour of yarn from the web site? or the feel of it or is it all the same because it is heavy worsted. Man, am I lost when it comes to yarn. I have not purchased anything before from a web site. Is it American and does that mean I have to pay more to bring it up here(Canada) this is a pic of the swatch (after blocking) I am to measure my stitches from. First, I have never blocked before second, when I measured gauge before I just knit a small swatch 6x4 and checked sts per inch. Boy, did I ever get lucky years ago because all my sweaters turned out ok. I read a article on blocking so now I know how to do it.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
candy
Turning the Heel

yarn substitute
Ok, so I looked at yarndex and am a little confused about heavy worsted yarn. Most of the heavy worsted yarn is 14sts-16sts=4"
http://magknits.com/May06/patterns/argyle.htm THis pattern says 18sts =4" in cable pattern using larger needles. Is it 18sts because it is blocked and patterend? There is a big difference between 14sts and 18sts =4" When I make my swatch which I plan on doing , how many sts do I cast on and where do I start? I use to just do plain knitting to check tension I have not read a pattern in years so to just pick a section to check tension is a little confusing to me. Once I start it I am sure I can do it with your help.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think yarn label gauges are only gauges to identify the weight/thickness of a yarn, and patterns might use needles that are a size or two larger or smaller than what's used for the label gauge. Most people do about a 6x6 inch swatch and then measure the 4 inch gauge in the middle. I usually do about 20 or stitches and only knit 2-3 inches because the row gauge isn't as important as the stitch gauge.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
candy
Turning the Heel

yarn substitute
Thanks, I was not thinking about the needle size, I was just thinking that heavy worsted yarn would all be the same sts=4" When I look at the pattern where do I find the repeat pattern to make a swatch without BO all the stitches
Old 10-25-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

Not all yarns within a specific weight (Aran) are going to be exactly the same. There is a range for each weight. You have to experience with swatching to match the gauge. You may need to knit with a different size needle than what the pattern states to achieve the right gauge.

By the way, Merino wool yarn is very soft. People who cannot wear regular wool next to the skin can sometimes wear Merino.
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

Not all yarns within a specific weight (Aran) are going to be exactly the same. There is a range for each weight. You have to experience with swatching to match the gauge. You may need to knit with a different size needle than what the pattern states to achieve the right gauge.

By the way, Merino wool yarn is very soft. People who cannot wear regular wool next to the skin can sometimes wear Merino.
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Re: yarn substitute
Originally Posted by candy
Thanks, I was not thinking about the needle size, I was just thinking that heavy worsted yarn would all be the same sts=4" When I look at the pattern where do I find the repeat pattern to make a swatch without BO all the stitches
To make a swatch in the pattern, look at the beginning of the pattern; there's usually a section before the instructions to cast on that tells you how to do the pattern. If you have a link, you can post it here and we can see where it is.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 AM   #10
candy
Turning the Heel

yarn substitute
http://magknits.com/May06/patterns/argyle.htm Here is the site for the red sweater(Argyle). If I am understanding it right I should cast on 24sts using 4.5mm needle and start at the bottom right corner of the green box and repeat that two times. Is that big enough to check the tension? I guess I am nervous because I have not made a sweater in 20 years. I feel a little silly asking such a simple question.