Old 10-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
NYCKnitKat
Ribbing the Cuff

Flower and Fan Gone Wrong Help
I was doing so well, and then...........well, I don't know. It doesn't look right........I'm one stitch short and I'm terrified to rip out. I think I went wrong about 5 rows ago. What do you do when you look back and see a big boo boo..............besides cry. :crying:

The post it represents.......the bad stuff.
NYCKnitKat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-28-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Since you're nervous about ripping it out and getting it back on the needles, you could unknit one stitch at a time until you feel you're back on track.

Then it would be wise to insert a life line so that if you need to rip back again, there is a place where the stitches can't unravel from. Just thread a piece of yarn through all the stitches while on the needle when you know you've got everything right. You can do it at the end of every repeat, or really pretty much anywhere you feel you need it. You can pull one life line out after the next one is in.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
NYCKnitKat
Ribbing the Cuff

How do I unknit? I love the lifeline idea. But let's say I want to go back five rows.........what do I do to unknit? Thank you so much.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Go backwards taking each stitch off the needle one by one. Stick your left needle into the first stitch on the right, and slip that stich off.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:13 AM   #5
HamburgKnitter
Knitting the Flap

I'm very new at knitting too, but I got pretty good at unknitting fast. I found unknitting the knit stitches easy and unknitting the purl stitches kind of tricky at first. Just follow where the not-yet-knit yarn comes out of the last stitch - that is where you want to put your left needle through to pick up the stitch).

Still trying to convince Henry the cat that knitting is a spectator sport!
HamburgKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
NYCKnitKat
Ribbing the Cuff

I have yarn overs and k2tog in my pattern as well as purls.......this might just require a trip to the knitting store. I'm afraid if I rip, I may wind up with nothing.............again. Been down that road before!
Old 10-29-2006, 09:29 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
If you're willing to take the risk, you can take it off the needles, rip out until you're right before a purl row. Then slowly pop out one stitch at a time, inserting your left needle into the stitch that pops out. This would be purl, so you wouldn't have to worry about the yo's and such. Once you get all the stitches on your needle you can switch them if they're twisted and get back on track.

Or you can bring it to someone who can help.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #8
NYCKnitKat
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you.......but I'm too afraid. Have to hit the yarn store after work tomorrow. Sigh.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

When you are doing lace, counting is your friend. Be sure you count the stiches on every pattern row before going on to the next row. That will ensure that it will be very unlikely that you will have to rip anything out in the future.

I've been knitting lace for about 10 years and here's a trick everyone should know: if you discover that you left out a YO, you do not have to tink back and fix it. You can fix it on the following row by lifting the bar of yarn between the stitches where it should be. Also, if you put in a YO where it didn't belong, you can just drop it off the needles on the following row. It will even out when you block it.
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote