Old 10-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
sjr
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to sjr
Reverse shaping: Knitqueen?
I don't trust myself to do the reverse shaping after having completed the left front! I am thinking that to do the right side of the sweater I just change where the decreases land? So the left front was a dec 1 st at front edge and then every foll alt row and at the same time shape side edge by inc 1 st at side edge on 3rd row and 10 foll 4th rows. To do the right side and front edge of the sweater, would I do k1,k2together at the beginning of the row and on the purl side do P1, P2 together at the end of the row? Does that reverse it? Also, where does the increase go? For the left side, the increase for the side edge was at the beginning of the 3rd knit row, so is the side edge now on the purl side? So should start off with row one as a purl row (rather than a knit row) so that the 3rd row would be a purl row? ( Row 1: Purl, purl two together at end of row. Row 2 Knit 1, knit two together at beginning of row, Row 3: Purl 1, Purl front and back at beginning and at end of row purl 1, purl two together) Do I do the increase at the beginning of that purl row? Knitqueen if you are there, does this make sense with what you have helped me with so far? Thanks! Sally
sjr is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-28-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

For the left front, the side edge increases were done at the beginnings of the right side rows so on the right front, the side edge increases will be done at the ends of right side rows (or the beginning of wrong side rows if they happen to land on a wrong side row).

Likewise, the front edge decreases on the left front were done at the ends of right side rows (or beginnings of wrong side rows), so on the right front the front edge decreases will be done at the beginnings of right side rows or the ends of wrong side rows.

It sounds like you have it figured out, you just need to give it a try and I bet you'll surprise yourself! You've just been plugging away at this so well and I can't wait to see what it's like when it's finished. I've been glad to help, let me know if there's anything else you have questions of.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You just have to keep track of which is your neck edge and which is the armhole edge and to the same thing on the other side that you did on the first one.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
sjr
Ribbing the Cuff

Reverse shaping: Knitqueen?
So wait: I can start off with a knit row after all, right? Because on the increase row (the third row) the increase is at the end of the row and won't interfere with the decrease which is now at the beginning of the K row? ( I may be confusing myself!!! No surprise there!!) I will definitely post pictures of this when I finish...right now the left side looks kind of strange...It surely is skinny at the top edge! Sally
Old 10-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Increases and decreases can be done at the beginnings or ends of either a right side or a wrong side row - speaking generally, not just about this project. So you can go ahead and start with a knit row and just make sure that your increase on the third row is placed at the end of the row and it will not interfere with what's happening on the other edge.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
sjr
Ribbing the Cuff

Reverse shaping
Thanks as always, knitqueen!