Old 10-31-2008, 12:39 AM   #1251
lakeout
Casting On

Hi Wanda - while I live a bit far away, through the magic of Ravelry I found this for you:

There is a group for fiber lovers in and around Greenville, NC and East Carolina University (and yes, it includes knitters).
Their weekly Sip and Stitch takes place every Tuesday from 7:30-9:30pm at the Tipsy Teapot, located on Evans St in downtown Greenville. They invite you to come, pull up a comfy chair, grab a cup of tea or a dessert, and enjoy the fiber arts with them. NOTE: while this group is not primarily instructional, I've no doubt you'll find someone to get you started and help out .... I'd bring along a skein of yarn, at least 2-sizes of needles, and a 'beginning' book to show that you're serious
lakeout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lakeout For This Useful Post:
Shandeh (10-31-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #1252
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Through the Magic of...
I've seen Ravelry mentioned frequently.
Originally Posted by lakeout View Post
Through the magic of Ravelry...
So, is there a thread or post giving details about it. Is there a fee for membership? Is it worth it to get a membership over there?

Anyone in the Capital area of NC? From what I have seen on this thread, not many members are from eastern NC (Raleigh to the coast).

ETA: NCWanda, I'm a bit closer to you but still not that close. That Ravelry group sound like an alterntive for you to consider.

TIA

--Jack

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 10-31-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Added comment.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #1253
lakeout
Casting On

Ravelry
OMG - it is a *visually-oriented* haven for fiber enthusiasts, but developed primarily for knitters & crocheters. It's still 'officially' in BETA, but getting quite close now to public.

NO FEES of any kinds. Go to www.ravelry.com and sign up. Used to take MONTHS, now a matter of days.

There is a *HUGE* group for Raleigh, very active. And groups for projects, foods, professions, interests, designers, etc. There's even a group for denizens of KnittingHelp.com!

Warning: Ravelry is a serious time-drain ... but also a fabulous tool. You can inventory your stash, library, pattern books, all with pictures. You can look at, and search, yarn & patterns for days ....

I'm "Lakeout" up there, once you get your invite drop me a line & say hi, be glad to try to help you out, it's rather overwhelming
lakeout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lakeout For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (10-31-2008)
Old 10-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #1254
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to Howdovely
Originally Posted by OffJumpsJack View Post
Anyone in the Capital area of NC? From what I have seen on this thread, not many members are from eastern NC (Raleigh to the coast).
I spend every other weekend in Raleigh. Headed there on the morning train actually! Haven't ventured out to any LYS there tho. Been to Michaels a billion times, because we don't have one here in High Point.

----> Howdovely
OTN: Pinwheel blanket for me; Camo Teddy Bear for future crib
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister
Howdovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #1255
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Lake Norman & Highpoint
Lakeout, if I remember correctly Valdez is near you (is it spelled Valdes and sounds like Waldez or vice versa?) My DW and I were there, she was in a church choir that went there to sing a worship service (I played the groupie). LOL Another year they went to Boon. Another time they went to Wrightsville. I've even been as far a Bervard. (who knows where that is?)

Howdovely, do you really take the train? (That wouldn't be a scarlet steam engine would it? -an HP reference.)

My church has a prayer shawl ministry, but I haven't felt comfortable about KIP. I have taken my backpack to a few of my children's soccer games and sat behind everyone to be out of vew.

I've put my request in for Ravelry, now if I can remember to check my email for the invite... LOL

--Jack

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTH Baby blanket
Old 10-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #1256
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Howdovely, do you really take the train? (That wouldn't be a scarlet steam engine would it? -an HP reference.)
--Jack
Yes I do really take the train. I LOVE it. Two full hours of uninterrupted knitting! I always got caught in traffic on I40/I85, and with the price of gas -- it just made more sense to take the train. I can't drive there for less than $11. I'm actually not a native HPer, so I didn't get the HP reference...

----> Howdovely
COMPLETED: Lapghan for me; Baby Sweater #2; Steelers Skull Cap; Baby Sweater #1; 2 Baby blankets; Prayer Shawl for Charity; Bamboo Scarf; 8 Oddball Baby Blankets for Charity; Booga Bag for me; baby blanket for my neighbor; 3 Dishcloths for my sister
Old 11-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #1257
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
I think he might have been referring to Harry Potter.
I've seen Ravelry mentioned frequently. So, is there a thread or post giving details about it. Is there a fee for membership? Is it worth it to get a membership over there?
Ravelry's great! It's definitely worth the time you put into it. I love to use it to see my stash, because there is no way I can remember everything I have in my craft room. (I have over 1000 skeins of yarn in there!) When I start a new project, I look at my stash on Ravelry to choose the yarn I want, then I dig through my room until I actually find it!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (11-12-2008)
Old 11-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #1258
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

NCWanda
NCWanda,

I've had a fortunate crossing of paths with someone who knows of a knitting group in Greenville, NC. I've made contact through ECU (East Carolina University) with a knitting group at a local church in Greenville, NC.

I'm currently waiting for their reply. You can PM me for more details, and if you still need someone to teach you to knit.

--Jack

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTH Baby blanket
Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #1259
Howdovely
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
I think he might have been referring to Harry Potter.

Oh!!! I'm such a ding dong! haha. I don't do Harry Potter either, so that went right over my head! Thanks for clarifying!

----> Howdovely
Old 11-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #1260
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote