Old 11-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #11
Shavon
Casting On

Another NC person over here! I currently live in Greensboro, although I've lived all over the Carolinas it seems: hometown and family in Rocky Mount, spent 2 years at a residential high school in Durham, college in Winston-Salem, grad school in Columbia, SC and now I've been living in Greensboro the past 3 years - whew! But I love living in Greensboro the most, and this place really feels like "home" for me.

I don't really "talk" to many knitters locally either - some of my coworkers at my former job used to knit during lunchtime, but I learned to knit after I left that job. I bet they'd be surprised to know I am an obsessed knitter now! I still go to Winston some, so I might have to check out Knit Picky. I have frequented A.C. Moore constantly since I've learned to knit this year, so I've just recently been to one LYS - The Stitch Point - and I'm slowly starting to realize why everyone loves LYS so much. I really need to start branching out and finding some more.

Nice to meet all of you!
Shavon is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
Annyka
Ribbing the Cuff

I've just been in NC a year, and have picked up knitting again recently.

I'm in Bethania (NW border of Winston-Salem), and work out on the Greensboro/High Point border (along Hwy 68, just south of I-40).

Haven't been to any of the LYS yet, have gotten yarn and supplies from WalMart or Joanne.
Annyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #13
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
Yea! Hiya to all the new posters on this thread!

It's nice to see how many NC knitters we have.

For those in the Greensboro area - there are two other shops that are really good.

Yarns, etc which is in downtown Greensboro on the corner of Elm and Washington (i think that's the corner.. i know it's on Elm for sure). It has lots of nice yarns AND stuff for spinning, including wheels, roving and classes. It's quite a large shop and there is a sister shop in Cary (?), i think.

This and That is probably my favorite shop in G'boro - it's the little yellow/white house near the corner of Elm and Cornwallis (on Cornwallis in between Church and Elm). It's small and a little pricey, but it's a beautiful shop full of yarn, yarn, and more gorgeous yarn! It's a little more on the luxury end of yarns, i think, although they do have all sorts. They also have classes and gathering nights (although i've never been). They also carry all sorts of fancy buttons and other notions as well as hand made jewelry and other local crafts. It's a real "gift-y" shop. Try it, but beware of it's addictive properties!

I used to hang out at A.C. Moore all the time too. I can spend HOURS in that place!! But i don't work near there anymore so i'm not there as often.. and my wallet can tell the difference!!

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #14
lissalue
Instepping Out

NC knitting newbie
I am a knitting newbie in shelby, nc!! been here my whole life, well, i actually grew up in kings mountain. are there any good yarn stores near here? all i have found are walmart and michaels.

lissalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #15
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,906 Posts
Re: NC knitting newbie
Originally Posted by lissalue
I am a knitting newbie in shelby, nc!! been here my whole life, well, i actually grew up in kings mountain. are there any good yarn stores near here? all i have found are walmart and michaels.
Here's the Yarn Store Map for your part of North Carolina:
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:38 PM   #16
lissalue
Instepping Out

thanks so much! that is really neat. I am going to gastonia thursday so i will check that one out!! woo hoo!!

Old 11-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #17
tmsl
1st Leg of the Journey

Lissalue,

I would call them first to make sure they are what you are looking for. A couple in my area were yarn manufactures that were out of business not retail stores.

Have fun!!

Laura
Old 11-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #18
lissalue
Instepping Out

thanks, i will definately call ahead. i would hate to show up at some warehouse or something!

Old 11-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #19
jujore
Casting On

Hi - I'm brand new to this board. Have never been to NC, but daughter & her family recently moved to the Charlotte area from NJ. I am eager to visit and probably will, as soon as they've moved from their temporary quarters into their house. At this point I don't know whether I'll be down prior to, or after the holidays.

I'd be particularly interested to hear about any independent yarn shops (not ACMoore/Michael's) near Indian Trail. Or any outstanding shops closer in town. I'd enjoy meeting other knitters, though at holiday time that would probably be unlikely. May have to save that for another trip. BTW, my daughter doesn't knit. I expect I will be flying in to Charlotte a few times a year.

I'm not a new knitter, but haven't knit very much, and I'm not very advanced. I've recently become addicted to sock knitting. I belong to very nice guild in my area that I enjoy. The creativity of the members is amazing. I mostly observe and say "I wish I could do that". -j

OTN: socks in self-patterned yarn/dishcloth for practice/charity baby afghan
jujore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #20
lissalue
Instepping Out

Re: NC knitting newbie
Originally Posted by Shandeh
Originally Posted by lissalue
Here's the Yarn Store Map for your part of North Carolina:
here is a yarn map, but i was told to call ahead and make sure they actually stores, not manufacturers. hope you enjoy your visits.