Old 02-17-2007, 07:25 PM   #241
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
I hope you all had a GREAT time today! I would have come, but I'm home sick with some sort of sinus/throat/chest cold thing. You'd think after 14 years of teaching I'd be immune to most anything by now. Post pics and tell tales! I need to live through you guys!
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-18-2007, 12:34 AM   #242
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Belphoebe! Maybe next time.

Zip, We had quick deli food next to the yarn shop, so we'd have more time for knitting!!!

THE CHARLOTTE GET-TOGETHER WAS A SMASH-HIT!!!

Lestrella was at Knit One Stitch Too before me, so we said goodbye to her hubby, then went inside together. It was COLD this morning! Lizzitude got there soon after, and we all introduced each other. We got through the initial phase of hellos and figuring out the logistics of the yarn shop, then we started relaxing and having fun.

We were just starting to wind down and head out for lunch when we got a phone call from Lissalue. She was coming! So, we hung around a little longer so she could see the shop too.

I was the only one buying yarn, so I wandered off by myself to check out their stash. The others will have to tell you their end of the story, because I was in DEEP THOUGHT. I fell in LOVE with the Mountain Colors yarn.

After all my work, I chose only ONE skein of Sockotta sock yarn in a pretty spring colorway, some stitch ring markers, a small needlegauge, the latest Interweave Knits, and a tiny wooden cable needle. Everyone said, "You're gonna pay 3 dollars for that toothpick?" I said, "Yes, I am."

At the register, I handed the guy my purchases, then immediately sang out "When the Saints Go Marching In", in order to get a 5% discount. (They are having a Mardi Gras sale.) Then, Lizzitude let me hold a purple and green headband as a decoration so I could get another 5% off, then I said "Let the Good Times Roll" in French to get an additional 2% off. It was fun.

The register (computer) was acting up, and the poor guy at the register looked like he was processing a payment for the very first time, so it took FOREVER to ring up my purchase. Lizzitude and I just stood there waiting. When Liz was paying for her purchase, I had to sing again, because she wasn't interested in singing for a 35 cent discount on her one booklet. OK Liz, you owe me 35 cents. :?
When we got to the door, someone called out at us, and threw some beads to me!!!

After our shopping excursion at Knit One Stitch Too, we went next door to eat hotdogs, chicken and french fries at a small deli. I was afraid that someone would think we were "Red Hat Ladies" because of my purple beads and red sweater.

Then, we headed over to the library. Our reserved conference room was a PERFECT spot to sit and knit. We really enjoyed our time in there. We each did a little "show and tell" with our yarns and patterns and projects, then Bear arrived to join the group.

After we all said hello to Bear and settled down to knitting, Bear passed something over to me and said, "That's for you." I was like, "What? NO WAY!!!" She gave me a set of Denise Interchangeable Needles!!!!
Thank you Bear!!!

After I stopped hugging her and doing some major rejoicing, I got back to business and did a short demonstration on the basics of drop spindling. (Bear kept calling me the "camp counselor" :? )

With all the needles clicking, we soon started talking full force.
Bear was just starting a new sweater, so she kept saying, "Hang on, I'm counting"

I was starting a new pair of dark blue socks for a friend of mine.

Lizzitude was making a pretty yellow thing, with some nice purple flowers knitted in at the bottom.

Lestrella was working on a nice blue sweater.

and Lissalue was working on some pretty purple socks.

I can't remember all we talked about, but it was WONDERFUL. We had a GREAT day together, and had a difficult time saying goodbye. I really enjoyed seeing everyone today!!!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #243
lizzitude
1st Leg of the Journey

It WAS great fun - thanks for organizing Shandeh! It was great to meet everyone, and I hope I can make it down the next time you guys get together. Camp Shandeh was great! Thanks again for the "big sticks"!
  • Kitty Shawl
  • Nantucket Jacket from Interweave Knits
  • Miranda Cable Scarf
lizzitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #244
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Liz, you're so funny!

All credit goes to Lestrella for organizing this time. I just came to have fun, and brought my spindling gear along at the last minute.

Thanks for all your planning and PERFECT choice for our knit-together, Lestrella!!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #245
lissalue
Instepping Out

It was so much fun! Thanks lestrella for organizing, and shandeh for being the counselor who kept us all in line as in line as sandy as sandy gets anyway! i never said anything about your choice to buy a $3.00 toothpick, i simply hope that next time you will purchase your toothpicks from me!

i am so glad i got to come. it was super fun to see you all again and meet lizzitude!!

lissalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #246
lestrella
Turning the Heel

Shandeh said it all. The only thing she forgot to mention was that after we left the library around 5:00pm, we went to have dinner (bear, shandeh and myself) at Chillis. It was a last minute thing that bear and shandeh planned while I was making copies of some patterns. At that point, we were all starving (or was it just me?). I had a great time!!! and I can't wait to do it again.

Lizzitude, it was really nice meeting you. I hope you can make it next time.

tmsl, what happened? I thought you were coming.

For those of you who couldn't make it this time, don't worry, there'll be plenty of more meetings.

Here are some pictures of Shandeh giving us some demonstrations.

Shandeh, thank you again so much for dropping me off and for all the wonderful goodies you gave me. I'm so happy!!! I forgot to make a copy of the lingerie pattern. Would you please bring it next time we meet?

Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0040.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	36695  Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0038.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	36696  Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0034.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	36697  
lestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #247
knitting4babybear
Turning the Heel

I didn't get to log on last night - I had a ton of work to do - but thanks so much everyone.

Liz - it was great to meet you. I'm glad you came! I hope we'll get to see you more often.

To the crew - Camp Shandeh was quite the hit. Shandeh thanks for the ride home (again) - at least this time I didn't feel quite as bad since I came bearing gifts.

I always have the best time with you guys. I always look terrible in the pictures, but I suppose that's a small price to pay for having so much fun.

Lestrella EXCELLENT choice of location. I definitely think we should do it there again - or at least at another library with a conference room. It was so great to talk amongst ourselves in a place where we didn't feel like we were taking up much needed chairs for paying folks. (I feel that way sometimes at Starbucks and Borders and such).

Anyway - it was fun. Can't wait until next time, when hopefully, I will be unpreoccupied with the t--- we shall not speak of.

And Liss - I'm SO glad you came. It was great to see you - and thanks for the amazing yarn.

On Needles: Things that seem to fly off as rapidly as they were cast on because of my apparent aversion to finishing, oh...anything. Anything at all.
knitting4babybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #248
zip

Boogie, children! Y'all look so happy and lovely!
I so wanna caption your photos.

Next time I visit Sandy, there must be a meetup.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #249
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Of COURSE we will, Zip!
Old 02-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #250
tmsl
1st Leg of the Journey

Ahh, it looks like you guys had such fun. Life got in the way and I was too tired to drive all that way. I have been working on remodeling a bathroom and didn't realize how much it took out of me.

I promise to make it to the next one.....

Laura