Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 AM   #21
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by jujore
I'd be particularly interested to hear about any independent yarn shops (not ACMoore/Michael's) near Indian Trail. Or any outstanding shops closer in town. I'd enjoy meeting other knitters, though at holiday time that would probably be unlikely. May have to save that for another trip. BTW, my daughter doesn't knit. I expect I will be flying in to Charlotte a few times a year.
Indian Trail???!!!! That's where I live!!!!!

I guess we know now that we will probably get to meet!

There are plenty of options for buying yarn in Charlotte. I haven't been to all of them, but here are the ones I have seen.

Cottage Yarn (my cousin's store located in Mint Hill)
The Peace of Yarn (now located in Matthews)
The Yarn Shop by Rainy Day Creations (located in historic Pineville, near Carolina Place Mall)

Here are some other yarn shops in Charlotte that I have yet to investigate.
Baskets of Yarn - I've heard that she doesn't have prices on the baskets, so I'm tempted to go there and yell out "How much is this one?" over and over again at each basket I come to.
Charlotte Yarn - don't know anything about that place.
Stitch Fine Yarns - ditto

Here is the Yarn Store Map for Charlotte.
(Peace of Yarn has moved to Matthews, so the map is not correct on that one.)
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #22
Eloewien
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Eloewien
I'm not in NC, but I'm not far from it up in VA. I'm about 2 1/2 hours north of Charlotte if you take I-77 in a little town called Pulaski. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any knitting groups I can find info on up here, so I'm a lonely knitter! There's also only one LYS with very limited selection unless I want to drive up to Roanoke. If you guys ever get together in the Charlotte area- let me know and I'll have to make it down there! I love meeting other knitters!
Also, if anyone is ever wandering up I-77 to I-81 let me know, I'm only 4 miles of the highway at home and right on it for work. It's a great place to stop for a break on your way north!

Laura
For mom: Celtic Knotwork sweater
For me: Rogue, shawl of my own design
For friends: Foliage hat, dragonscale wristwarmers
Eloewien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #23
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Cool, Laura!

I think we should plan a LYS Crawl in Charlotte. We can investigate all the shops, and take notes comparing them, then put a report in here. Maybe we could even take photos of us at each location!

I think that would be kinda fun. I could try to check out the church van, and we could all ride together for the tour. We could get big magnetic signs to put all around the van that say,
"CAROLINA KNITTERS ON BOARD - YARN STORES, HERE WE COME!"
Old 11-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #24
lissalue
Instepping Out

that sounds so fun! so like something me and my family or me and my friends would do. we are a crazy bunch! i would love to go, i am a bit intimidated by charlotte. so going around with a group would be great. i would also love to meet other knitters. the only one i know is my husbands aunt. everyone else i know crochets, they all say they tried knitting but it was too slow, hard, etc. it isn't the easiest thing i have done, but i am finding it fun and very worthwhile.
hopefully my denise's will come today so i can try out knitting in the round, or at least knitting on something besides the size 11 bamboo needles i have (the only needles i have ).
i finished my first scarf and i am about ten rows in on my second! i love knitting!

lissalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #25
lizzitude
1st Leg of the Journey

Count me in too - it sounds like a lot of fun! I have a good friend in Charlotte that I could stay with.....
  • Kitty Shawl
  • Nantucket Jacket from Interweave Knits
  • Miranda Cable Scarf
lizzitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:39 PM   #26
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Woo Hoo! A Charlotte Yarn Store Crawl!

Since it's the CRAZY holiday season right now, let's wait til January. Is that okay with the rest of you?
Old 11-14-2006, 01:00 AM   #27
lissalue
Instepping Out

that is fine with me. shandeh, i want to go check out your cousins yarn store sometime, especially since i am trying to knit christmas presents for a lot of people. i went to her site and her store looks really nice and cozy. i'll have to find a good time to go.

lissalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:50 AM   #28
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Oh, neat! She is such a friendly person. She is my mother's first cousin, but she and I never really spent that much time together until she started the yarn store. Now, we have LOTS in common!

Let me know when you're going, and maybe I can come the same day.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:08 AM   #29
lizzitude
1st Leg of the Journey

January sounds great......
  • Kitty Shawl
  • Nantucket Jacket from Interweave Knits
  • Miranda Cable Scarf
lizzitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:17 AM   #30
maman
Casting On

Hmmm...PeaceofYarn has a child play area and a coffee lounge??? Are these rumors true?? I am tempted to try it out soon.

I mainly go to Charlotte Yarn, because everyone is soooo nice and I think the prices are pretty reasonable. Also, they have $10 grab bags of yarn which have GREAT surprises -- always 5 skeins/balls. The last one I bought had two $9.99 balls, an $8 a $5 and a $23.50 ball of ribbony something-or-other. ALL FOR $10!!! The owner is Remi, and she is just a sweet young pregnant gal. They offer classes and private instruction, but will always sit down and teach/help you. They also have a washing machine in-shop and will felt for you.

Stitch seems to cater to a bit higher-end clientele, and I have heard many rumors that a few of the saleswomen are quite snooty (just rumors, no confirmation, but the joke is that "Stitch rhymes with...."

However, I am friends with Katherine at Stitch, and she is SOOOOOO nice and helpful). I just try to only go on Saturdays since she works then

I went to a yarn store in Blowing Rock, NC, which was a neat little nook. Can't really comment on slection or prices (although they seemed a touch high) since I just did a quick browse-through for wool with my toddler.

Please let me know when everyone comes in for the Yarn crawl
maman is offline   Reply With Quote