Old 10-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Soaker Help
I have a friend who has asked if I would knit her son a soaker. I haven't committed yet but I sorta feel like I should since I was the one who campaigned to get him into cloth diapers

So I know some of you like to use Malabrigo for the soakers but what else do you like to use? I have seen mention of Galaway and Cascade 220 but both of those seem awefully scratchy for baby clothes.

Also, knowing that i prefer to knit in the round whenever given the option, i am an incredibly lazy knitter, and the most shaping i have ever done on something was on gloves that required almost no shaping at all (i have knit a few pairs of baby socks though ) does anybody have a good pattern that they like to use that is size adaptable?

Thanks!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
cocoa
Ribbing the Cuff

whats?
Hi,

What's a soaker?

I'm from the UK.
Dee.
cocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

awww see i was all excited that someone had finally answered my questions and there ya are askin' more questions!

It is a diaper cover for cloth diapers. My friend's mother in law from the UK is actually hooking her up with the cloth diapers so now she is looking for soakers. I am avoiding committing making them but if i can figure out a quick easy way to make them i might be convinced!

(i had no idea what a soaker was either when i first started hearing people on here talking about them...seemed like a bad name for them in any event! )
Old 10-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top has instructions on how to make pants in the round, including variations like leggings and bikini bottoms. (I borrowed the old edition from the library but I'm assuming the new one is the same.) Might be something to check out if no one else chimes in.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
Julie
Instepping Out

Brenda, I adapted two patterns so I could knit them in the round...are you looking for the diaper-ish looking ones, or the long ones?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Quiara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Quiara Send a message via Yahoo to Quiara
There's a good pattern for a small soaker here. There's also a good longies pattern you can find if you google "doodlepants." Hope that helps.

Find me on as Quiara. ^_^
Quiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Julie
Brenda, I adapted two patterns so I could knit them in the round...are you looking for the diaper-ish looking ones, or the long ones?
Well she lives in Louisiana and while it is getting closer to the cool season down there (okay not really....when i moved down there on Oct 28th a few years ago i went from 45 degree weather to 95 degree weather in a few hours....yikes!) I am thinking she is probably wanting the shorter ones. I never considered the long ones for her...hrmm....

Quiara thanks I will take a look!
Old 10-30-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
cocoa
Ribbing the Cuff

ooh
My twins were in those things, cheap throw aways got my thumb up!.

In the Uk you can buy plastic liners similiar to shower curtain material with elastic cuffs. Washable, dry real quick even quicker if you paper towel them. Fairly cheap to buy. I think Mothercare or Boots you sshould be able to get them from.

Reasons not to use them
They're smelly and come winter they're a nightmare to dry, extra moisture in the air isn't good for anyone.

Excess luggage etc
Dee.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

yup i have verified that she does what short ones but of course now that it is in her head she wants the longies too...lol. She is going to have to learn to knit if she wants all that!

Dee, the wool ones are actually supposed to be better because they don't smell unless it has been a while since they have been cleaned. plus they pull the moisture away from the baby and the outside clothing.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:44 PM   #10
cocoa
Ribbing the Cuff

pattern pics
http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/soa...printable.html

http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/organ...woolpants.html

Dee.