Old 10-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
vforba
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to vforba
Would love to see a video of circular shortrows
I do alot of circular knitting. Pants mostly for my dd and I've seen the video with the flat shortrows, but I'd really like to see how you'd do shortrows in the round as it seems to be difficult to get the purl to knit side to look good.
vforba is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
YES
Please
I need to kow how to make this work too
i am doing the Apogie Caplet, and I do short rows in the sholder and increases in the trim
the short rows make it no reversable
frustrating to me

if you know how to fix this
please help

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but short rows by nature necessitate turning the work. When knitting in the round, you would work back and forth just as you would for flat knitting (so you are alternately working on the right and wrong side) to build up a particular area of the fabric. When that area is done, you can continue working circularly.

Amy has a video of a wrap and turn technique, but you may also want to check out this link, which includes a whole bunch of resources for several different methods of making short rows. You can compare different ones to see what gives you the neatest result. (I tend to favor Japanese and encroachment, but it really depends on the project. YMMV)

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but short rows by nature necessitate turning the work. When knitting in the round, you would work back and forth just as you would for flat knitting (so you are alternately working on the right and wrong side) to build up a particular area of the fabric. When that area is done, you can continue working circularly.
I think that the queststion is what to do with the wrapped stitch when you come back around to it after you've started working circularly again.
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by SandraEllen
I think that the queststion is what to do with the wrapped stitch when you come back around to it after you've started working circularly again.
If that's the case, you would be approaching it from the knit side instead of the purl side, so you would work it the same way as your other knit-side wraps.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
Old 10-31-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
vforba
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to vforba
That would be the logical conclusion except for the fact that since you are doing circular knitting instead of flat the wrap is coming from the opposite direction and to try and continue the circle it causes gaping, holes, twisted stitches and bumps depending on how you do it. I've tried various ways to do it and it comes out the same way everytime. Some better than others but never the same way as when you turn it from the original knit to purl side. The purl to knit side always comes out differently. The only way to trully understand is do it and you'll see what I mean.
thanks
vicky
vforba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Yesterday was a busy day.

Well, by now you've probably figured this out, but just in case you haven't, try this:
  • Do the wrap as you normally would.
    Continue working in the round until you get to the wrapped stitch.
    Slip that stitch knit-wise then put it back on the left needle.
    Lift the wrap and place it onto the left needle.*
    Knit these 2 stitches together through the back loop.

*For the neatest result, switch the order of the stitch and the wrap so the wrap is on the left. You can do this by pulling the slipped stitch out from under the wrap and then placing it back on the needle.

I sort of "unvented" this (as EZ would say), but got a nice looking result if I do say so myself. If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
zulupetalz
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to zulupetalz
I have been searching high and low, myself, and I came across this link - http://woolywonder.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=34
Not a video, but a lot of very helpful pictures.
zulupetalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Interesting. It looks like she's using knit encroachment instead of wraps, and reversing the mount to prevent a twisted stitch when coming from the knit rather than purl side, just as I did. Neat!