Old 10-31-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
candy
Turning the Heel

getting confussed about slip one and knit the end
I watched Amy's video and she says to make the edges of your knitting look nice(sometimes the edge stitch can look sloppy because the first stitch is too loose even if you pull it tighter) you should slip the first stitch and knit the last stitch. If your first stitch is a purl then slip it purlways and knit the last. Does this work for everything or is it just for stocking stitch? What if the last stitch is a Purl? What if you are working from a chart and the stitch is always changing?ie the first stitch on the needle is a knit and they want you to change it to a purl. I probably asked this question before but I have a hard time remembering all this info all you ladies are giving me so now when you tell me I write it down so I don't need to keep asking.
candy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-31-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

I'm guessing that if you want to do this slip stitch edging, you're going to have to
A) cast on 2 extra stitches for this edging or
B) forfeit 2 stitches out of your pattern.

either way, the edging is beautiful and i wish i had known about it earlier - especially for scarves.
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Re: getting confussed about slip one and knit the end
Originally Posted by candy
Does this work for everything or is it just for stocking stitch? What if the last stitch is a Purl? What if you are working from a chart and the stitch is always changing?ie the first stitch on the needle is a knit and they want you to change it to a purl.
You can use it with any stitch pattern. The easiest way to do this is to cast on two extra stitches when you begin, as SandraEllen suggested. You will treat these selvage stitches the same (slip 1 at beginning of row, knit 1 at end of row) no matter what else may be going on in between. It doesn't matter whether your stitch pattern starts with knit, purl, or whatever -- it all happens between the selvage stitches. It's like the bread holding a sandwich together. The contents may change, but the bread stays the same. (Okay, maybe not the best metaphor, but hey, it works.)

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Candy, are you still referring to this pattern: http://floryknits.com/fp-arantoque.html

If so, your edge stitches are essentially stockinette stitch - the first and last stitch of every single right side row is a knit stitch and the first and last stitch of every single wrong side row is a purl.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
Snoopy_slc
Casting On

Hey, that's a nice pattern! Stick that in the bookmarks for later...

I tried this method for the first time recently, and it did produce a lovely edge. But, my edges looked different. If I remember right (and I may not), I slipped the first stitch purl-wise, and knit the last one on each row. One side had the edging on the right side (for lack of a way to put this) and the other had it on the back. Did I do something wrong? Should it be symmetrical?

Thanks!

~Krista~
Snoopy_slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
candy
Turning the Heel

http://magknits.com/May06/patterns/argyle.htm I was referring to this pattern. When I increase stitches slipping the first will cause a problem won't it? I don't know why I am so hung up on slipping the first stitch to keep a neat seam does it really make a differece? Now I have got another problem. I was going to make this sweater and I found some wool I like that is 100% lambs wool. It is so soft and it is German. the problem is it has 25sts=4" and 35 rows and I am suppose to have 18sts=4" 26rows I made the swatch and I am right on(25sts=4").I was going to make the smallest size and I figure even if I make it the largest size it will only be 31.68" I love the wool and it is on sale from $9.00 to $3.00. Should I look for another pattern or can I still make this one.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

If you're determined to slip the first stitch, I would use this method. It does not matter that your edge stitch is not always the same type (ie. knit or purl), the first and last stitch of the row are worked a particular way no matter what.

I want to caution you about doing it though (from my own experience)......ONLY do it for edges that will be seamed to a like edge. So for example, it is a great method for the sides of the front and back, but only up to the armhole. From there, with the sleeve shaping - and eventually having to be seamed into the armhole, slipping stitches does not make it easier, in fact it makes it a lot harder. When you slip stitches, you end up with half as many loops along the edge because those stitches are only being worked every other row, and when seaming in a sleeve you often need those extra stitches to ease it in properly.

Hope that wasn't confusing.....bottom line, for anything being seamed to an edge that's exactly the same (sides of a sweater or the length of a sleeve from cuff to armhole, etc.) , it is a GREAT method and does make seaming easier and faster.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
candy
Turning the Heel

slip stitches
Your are a great help Knitqueen. You have a lot of patience for someone like me. I get what you are saying and I will keepit on file. I guess watching Amy's video got me hooked on slipping the first stitch. I have noticed when I knit years ago I had the loose edge stitch too so I thought from now on I will do Amy's trick. Amy is only slipping the first stitch and knitting the last where the site you sent me too does a chain edge for an exposed edge like on a scarf. They slip every first stitch purlways and knit the last, it has a different look than just slipping the first and knitting the last. I never thought about sewing up armholes I just thought it would all be the same. But like I said, it has been years since I knit something and I forgot alot.