Old 11-01-2006, 12:50 AM   #1
sarahg
Casting On

confused by pattern.. cable scarf
so i've decided to attempt this scarf:

http://www.yarnagogo.com/good_ole_cabled_scarf/

but i don't understand this part:

"R8 and all following wrong side rows: (k1 p1) 3 times, k1, p3, k2, p9, k2, p3, k1, (p1 k1), 3 times.
R9: (k1 p1) 3 times, k4, p2, put the first 3 sts on cable needle, hold at front, k the next 3 sts, then k the 3 sts from cable needle, k3, p2, k4, (p1 k1) 3 times."

the K9 in row 8 is the cable, correct? so why do they split it into 3s and then knit 3 more seemingly out of place stiches? also i noticed they alternate between K and P for the flat part.. what effect does this have? how will it look if i just purl it instead? much thanks, i think i'm in over my head here.
sarahg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-01-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
The (k1p1) 3 times is the border done in moss/seed stitch.

I know it doesn't seem like it, but follow the pattern exactly and it will be just fine. It's really neat to see the cable start forming! I don't think you'll be in over your head.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:00 AM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

It looks like it's a sort of double twist cable. In row 9, you work 12 stitches then a 3/3 cable, then followed by a K3, etc., so that 'K3' after the cable seems out of place but if you look ahead to row 13 there is another cable row but this time the cable is shifted 3 stitches over compared to the one in row 9 with the extra 'K3' coming before the 3/3 cable. This repetition forms the cable as you see it in the picture.

As for the alternating between knits and purl in the non-cable part of the pattern.....the very edge stitches form seed stitch and then there's a solid 4 stitch rib before the cable part. The seed stitch border helps the scarf to lay flat, and the 4 stitch rib really sets off the center cable. If you just purled all of those stitches you would end up with a scarf that will curl in a lot on the edges, and cable that doesn't really stand out.

Good luck!

xxx
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:15 AM   #4
sarahg
Casting On

ohhh i think i see. so the 3 stiches are where it alternately nips in at the sides of the cable? are all scarves seed stitched then? i thought that if you were doing ribbing and the like, you just had to do one section knit and one purl, and it would stand out that way. thanks guys.
sarahg is offline   Reply With Quote