Old 10-31-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Megan
Casting On

joining pocket to shawl
Good Morning! I received my yarns and first circular needles yesterday and immediately jumped in. So far so good. Now I've reached the part of the pattern that calls for me to join the pocket to the body of the shawl and I am at a loss at to where/how to begin. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Megan
Megan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-31-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
knitknitknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi Megan,
I'm from Wayne NJ Post the part of the pattern that you are having trouble with and I'm sure someone will be able to help! (prob not me though bc I'm not very good at reading them!)

otn: small throw for the back of my chair

book: Eat Pray Love
knitknitknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Megan
Casting On

Hi neighbour! I'll take your advice.

Megan
Old 10-31-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
Megan
Casting On

Joining pocket to shawl
On the advice of another member I'm forwarding the exact directions. Here goes-On WS row, work in established pattern to pocket opening, work 26 stitches of the front pocket panel to the same needle, work in established pattern to end of row. The stitches at the top of eack front pocket panel have now become part of the shawl, while the stitches fromt he shawl have become the top of the pocket. I went to bed last night after pondering this step, seeing the feasibility but when I got back to it this morning I'm still left with-Where does it start?

Megan
Old 11-01-2006, 02:20 AM   #5
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
I am doing this exact shawl right now.The pocket had me confused too.So i did exactly as the pattern says and it came out perfect.After you knit to pocket opening Knit the 26 sts off the extra needle onto the needle your now working on.,then just keep going after you added the pocket panel.Once you do that it all makes sense.That pocket panel is the inside of the pocket.You have to sew it to the shawl later to actually make a pocket.The sts on holder are for the ribbing on top of the pocket.Hope this helps.If not I'll try to explain again

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
Megan
Casting On

That's where I get confused, how & which needle do I knit off of? Are we considering the needle of the pocket the extra needle?

Thank you,

Megan
Old 11-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
momwolf
Instepping Out

The needle with the shawl is the needle you knit to the pocket opening with.Then take the needle with the pocket on it and knit sts from that onto the needle with shawl on it. Then knit to end of row.After you do this it will look right.I was totally confused also.They worded this really funny.They made it harder then it is.If this is still confusing I'll try and help some more.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
momwolf
Instepping Out

With the needles that have the SHAWL on it continue to knit to pocket opening.Take the needle with the pocket sts on it and knit in pattern onto the SHAWL needle that you just knitted to pocket opening with.After the pocket sts are on the SHAWL needle continue to knit to end of row.
So now that the pocket sts are attached to the Shawl tuck the pocket down into the opening and you will see that it forms the pocket.The sts on HOLDER are actually gonna be the ribbing for pocket top.Hope I helped by rewriting it .If not let me know and I will take pics of mine to show you and maybe that will help.