Old 11-02-2006, 04:17 AM   #1
trollgirl
Ribbing the Cuff

Dyeing yarn that's already coloured
I've got some yarn leftover from another project and I think there's just enough there to make a small felted purse, or something similar. The nice lady at the yarn shop said this particular yarn was really good for felting and I'm quite eager to try it out. However, the colour of the yarn is... eh, rather garish to say the least. I bought it to make the Jayne Cobb Hat, and that hat is supposed to look ridiculous, but I don't really want to be carrying a purse that makes me look like a McDonald's spokesperson.

Anyhoo, I'm wondering if it could be dyed. It's already coloured to begin with so I expect that will affect the end result? What if I dyed it a really dark colour? Does anyone have any experience with this? Oh, and if I felt it after, will the colour come out in the wash?

- tam
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	leftovers.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	33009  
trollgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-02-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

Yes, if it's cotton or wool yarn you can over dye it. Take into consideration that you'll be mixing the color it is with the new color. If you dye the yellow yarn with red, you'll end up with an orange. The orange yarn is a combination of yellow and red, so if you use, say blue you'll get a combination of green and purple.... which would be some kind of brown.

If you dye it properly, it should absorb most of the color and rinsing should remove any dye that didn't take/strike. Then it should be colorfast when you felt it.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I think that if you used a gray dye, you would end up with muted, earthier versions of the original colors. (When I used KoolAid on gray yarn, I got muted colors so I'm sort of extrapolating from that experience -- don't know if my logic is kosher or not.) You probably want to test-dye small samples of yarn to make sure you like the color before you do the whole thing.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote