Liliyarn
Turning the Heel

Review: Lendrum DT Original Folding Wheel
Lendrum Complete Spinning Wheel Package
Obtained from Susan’s Fiber Shop
Cost $ 565.00

Over All Information:
Basic, modern design
Extremely easy to switch out flyers and bobbin Takes less than one minute literally
No real assembly or staining needed. Practically ready to spin out of the box. Ready to spin in less than 5 minutes literally (and I never read the instructions)
No screw driver required for folding or assembly
Durable materials with a few plastic parts
Folds for travel and storage has a carry bag that can be bought separately
Weighs about 13 pounds
No hooks on the flyer. Has a sliding metal hoop.
Scotch tension and a poly cord drive band
Not for living history spinners
Double treadle and very, very smooth
While treadling it doesn’t catch, wobble or walk
It has yet to start squeaking or make noise and I've not oiled it.
Takes less than two minutes to fold flat and is secure
If you get the complete kit then it can spin anything from lace to bulky/ plying Well worth the money
Great work horse wheel
Orifice can be adjusted so it sits a little taller.

My Personal Opinion:
This is a great beginner wheel. I wished I had gotten this first. However, I know no one could have talked me into it because I love the look of “traditional” wheels. I have come to appreciate this wheel for what it does and does well, spin fiber. Lendrum understands what spinners want in a wheel. Everything is very easy and quick to do. The best word I can use to describe this wheel is effortless. It travels and stores very well. It would also be good for someone with limited space.

I’ve spun over a pound of fiber on this wheel. Have changed the flyers and bobbins. Have folded it and carried it around, put in my car, stored it in a corner all folded up..... So far I have no complaints about anything.

I have not changed drive bands. There’s a “C” clip that I haven’t attacked. I’ve never seen a “C” clip and I’m not positive how to remove it (with out damaging anything) so the larger drive band has not been installed. Anyone know how to remove the clip?

It can’t be difficult as so far nothing on this wheel is. This is the first time I've had to put effort into anything on this wheel. A teeny tiny clip...who'da thunk it? Other than this, for me the wheel has been a no brianer and a super smooth easy spin.

**** four stars
Liliyarn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-02-2006, 11:20 PM   #2
CindyH
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to CindyH
Thanks for the review.

I have a Lendrum and I agree that it is very easy to use and great for people that don't have a lot of space. I would love a traditional looking wheel too, but for now, my Lendrum will have to be it.

Here is the reference I used when I needed to remove the C clip. I remember being scared of breaking something, but it was easy to take off (although I can't remember much from my own experience anymore, sorry!). I left the second drive band on the wheel like the last picture suggests, so I never have to remove the C clip again.

What other wheel do you have? I wouldn't mind hearing about some traditional looking wheels so that I know some good choices wayy in the future when I can get another wheel!
I'm CBFCindy on Ravelry.
CindyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
Andrea
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via MSN to Andrea
Thanks for the review, I have been eyeing that exact one!!

No chorus?
Houyhnhnms!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
Liliyarn
Turning the Heel

Cindy -

Thanks a big big bunch! I tried to access the Lendrum site a few days ago but couldn't get anything. Oh my love affair with Lendrum is now complete!

I do own an Ashford Traveller. I am working on a review of it as well, but it is a bit more technical. I am going to write it in a way that others may learn from my mistakes and have a better relationship with the wheel.

So give me a while longer and I'll gladly post it. Anything to try to help other spinners.
Liliyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
Pink Dandelion
Knitting the Flap

Thanks so much for you review! It helped a lot

I'm PinkDandelion at Ravelry!
Pink Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote