Old 11-02-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Tobinknit
1st Leg of the Journey

Slippers - Felting Question
I am new to felting and have just made some slippers which I have not felted yet. This particular pattern is crocheted. Most of the crocheted and knitting patterns I have seen have you making one full slipper and then another sole which you attach to the full slipper to make a double sole. You then tack the two soles together with loose back stitches before you felt.

If you figured out a pattern that would work for your own foot, is there any reason why you could not make the sole double in the first place and then start the top with one strand of yarn as usual? Or would it not felt the same......(the top would be toast before the bottom is felted enough)? Obviously the sole would use a smaller needle than the top. I plan on figuring out my own pattern and realize the stitch count would have to be adjusted, etc. Hope I have made sense with this question. I wanted to ask before I spend a bunch of time and/or waste of yarn figuring it out. Thanks.
Tobinknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
BillSpace
1st Leg of the Journey

If I understand you correctly, you want to just knit the sole with two strands and the top with one.

I don't think that will have quite the effect you want, although I haven't tried it. Two separate pieces of fabric felted together aren't the same thing as one thick piece of fabric.

I think.

Anyone else tried this?
BillSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Tobinknit
1st Leg of the Journey

That's what I am thinking because why wouldn't they have written the patterns like that in the first place? Still haven't gotten the slippers felted yet. I want to finish some other stuff and then maybe spend a day doing the felting. Want to get some flower pieces done so I can do those at the same time and a few purses as well. Thanks for your reply.
Tobinknit is offline   Reply With Quote