Old 11-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
candy
Turning the Heel

help, why is this not working
http://magknits.com/May06/patterns/argyle.htm Here is my pattern again. I am making the smallest size so I have 71sts on the needle. I start with A on the chart and go right to left K5 then I start at the right side bottom corner and do the 12st repeat(P1,K5,P1,K5) . THe repeat is five times so that takes up 60sts. If I start at A and then do the 12sts repeat five times that works out to be 65sts right? So, should I not end up on row one finishing the repeat? I have 6 stitches left! 65+6=71 If I follow the chart I would P1, K5 and that would take me to B? Is that right?On row two I start at the left side of the green box (not A) and do 12sts repeat 5 times and then I end up with 11sts left. 71-60=11 What am I suppose to do with them. I thought I was doing it right but obviously not. When I did my swatch I just started at the bottom right corner and had not problem since I am starting at A it is not working for me.
candy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-04-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
The first row should go

k5, (p1, k5)11 times = 71

Since they have you starting in the middle of the chart, which is kind of a confusing way to do it, your repeat is really shifted over by 7 stitches. Don't really worry about that, though. Once you get the first row done, you'll be able to tell you're in the right spot by referencing your knitting from the row before.

ETA--if you're having trouble posting in the same thread, just read this and hit post reply so all your questions on this subject are in the same place--I saw that you had some confusion about that.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
candy
Turning the Heel

following chart
Ingrid, I did the first row and had no problem but where do I start the second? Above the A? so I will have P1, K1, P5, K1. (thats going left to right) and then go back to the left side and repeat the 12sts from left to right?
Old 11-04-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

I believe that you will start row 2 from the very left edge of the chart. So you would have (P5, K1) repeat until last 5 stitches, end with P5.

ETA: You are doing the smallest size, so everything in the chart that falls to the right of the 'A' column does not apply to you at all. If you have the chart printed, it might be VERY helpful if you took a piece of paper and taped it over the B,C, D, etc. section so you don't see it at all. All you need to see is what is in that 'A' column and everything to the left from there.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
candy
Turning the Heel

Your are either going to laugh at this or get really mad but that is the way I did it yesterday and thought I was wrong because if you look at the chart on row 2 you can finish the whole pattern except the last stitch. So I get it now. Thank you so much. Stay in touch for my increase
Old 11-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Knitqueen is right.

If you wanted to see how it works on the chart, you start at the left edge, work to the second green line, repeat between the green lines from left to right and then finish on the last 4 stitches. The A doesn't come into play on the wrong side.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 11-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

It should also be helpful to note that every wrong side row (the even #'d rows) is just knitting the knits and purling the purls.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
candy
Turning the Heel

Ok, now I am FINALLY on row 7 and I am to inc one stitch at each end of 7th and each foll 8th row. So that means 7,15,23,and 7 right? It took me forever get just the plain knitting what am I going to do about the increase It is just a little confusing the way the pattern is printed because when I finish and odd number I am at letter B and on even rows I finish at letter D. Anyway, so far I have been keeping the first and last stitch in stocking stitch so it will be easier to sew. Those two edges are hidden anyway so I thought I would do that. When I was first following the pattern the edge looked all knotted because one was a purl and one was a knit. To increase would I look at the right side of letter A which is a purl so that means add a purl. My pattern says for increases MIR and MIL so should I do that. My first stitch is a knit (because of stocking stitch) so should I MIR and beg. and MIL at end or should I K1, Purl twice into second stitch.(in front and then back). When I get to the end of the row 7 I am at B so I should look the left of B which is a purl and increase one purl? I hope you can understand all this. This should be easy why am I getting so mixed up.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
candy
Turning the Heel

I just read about knitting the knits and purling the purls that makes it easier but the pattern is always changing so that must mean it changes on a right side so then you can follow it on the wrong side. It is like the pattern you helped me with knitqueen, the hat that is always the same on the wrong side. Wow! lightbulb just went off! That makes it a lot EASIER. Now I don't have to study the wrong side so hard, just make sure I have the right side correct. Any thoughts on the increase?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

This is what we covered here.

IngridKH on Ravelry