Old 11-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
Limey
Turning the Heel

DPNs & Other Domestic Disturbances...
Now that I’ve reached the heady heights of hat-knitting (ouch, - sorry), I’ve been trying to get a grip of those javelins for the vertically-challenged, known by some incurable optimists as DPNs.

The only metal I know of that can travel that far and that fast is a bullet. No sooner had I scooped the stitches back on the three-legged beast (couldn’t get the fourth needle to come out and play at all), than it spun round and headed for the hubby with the deadly accuracy of a heat-seeking missile. (He’ll be okay, thanks – it was mainly the shock to his nervous system that upset him a bit.)

Anyway, onwards and upwards and keep trying – well, that lasted all of five minutes – I mean, it’s one thing to endanger the hubby’s life and limbs but it’s another when Hatty Cat almost got harpooned snoozing on the hearth-rug.

I popped the pesky things into a cupboard – hoping to get them out later when things had settled down a bit - but does anyone know how to un-nail a cupboard door?

Yours with a tin hat,

Limey

For anybody else rash enough to try their luck with these lethalities – popping children’s plastic beads on the ends of them makes them slightly less anti-social and helps the stitches stay in place.

Limey is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

That was seriously one of the reasons I went the magic loop route in place of DPNs -- fewer pointy things about the house.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK

Bamboo DPNs are slightly less endangering of one's family and pets...
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble

That's why I usually only use metal dpns when I'm knitting yarn which is rough and needs to glide easily on the needles. I do agree with Kelly - bamboo! But alas, I have none as of yet. I use Balene plastic Dpns usually.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
newamy
Working the Gusset

I've not tried metal double points, I use the bamboo ones. One evening I couldn't find one. I looked and looked. I looked around in all the locations where I had done my knitting. Then I shrugged and went o bed. The next day I looked some more. That evening I found it! Ithad poked itself into in a pillow with one end sticking out and had probably been there all night and we are very lucky that no one had gotten poked in the eye or something in the night. Crazy, huh?

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
I enjoy Metal DPN a sligh bit less than those clear plastic needles by Susan something
the plastic ones that actually Stick to the yarn
frustrating
I like the bamboo cheep ones in LONG, then i cut in half and have one end round tipped, and one end pointy
but then again i am an odd duck

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Love the humor in your post!

When I first started I could NOT get the hang of the metal DPNs I had at the time. I decided to try magic loop and two circs and that worked fine. I felt like it was slower though because I had to keep adjusting the needles/stitches. Soooo awhile back I bought some bamboo DPNs and gave it another try and wow what a difference. The needles don't fall out of the stitches anymore! Now I'm even starting projects like tiny hats or socks on DPNs! Woooo! You can do it!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #8
Amber
Working the Gusset

I agree -- bamboo is much less lethal!

Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
Quiara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Quiara Send a message via Yahoo to Quiara
I've never had a problem with DPNs. Nope. Not one. I get my jollies from armwrestling the steel porcupined monsters. ^_~

Seriously, I prefer magic loop or 2 circs at all costs. I've never found DPNs to be lethal, per se, just ill advised for those who have the slightest impairment -- such as mortality or permeable flesh.

Find me on as Quiara. ^_^
Quiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #10
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

I like the bamboos too. I have a set of metal ones but I never use them.

Nadja xxx
nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote