Old 11-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
overnet
Casting On

hangnails & dry fingers
Hello,

I have a question/problem which I'm wondering if any of you have gone through? I am getting terrible hang-nails or raw skin areas and have bandaids on most of my knitting fingers! I'm not sure if it's from the yarn or poking myself or dry weather. Any advice? Maybe I will grow calluses on these fingers? I have been knitting heavily the past year and love to knit daily, otherwise I am very healthy. Please help.

Elaine
overnet is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #2
snowbear
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Yahoo to snowbear
my hands were terrible.. so I did the following.

Trimmed & filed all nails smooth. At night put on a heavy cream for dry skin, then wore gloves to bed for 3 or 4 nights. During day after washing hands each time, rubbed in lotion. Then I used a parafin bath on my hands.. ( xmas present,, I use it on hands & feet especially in winter) By the end of the week, my hands were soft again. I continued using a good quality cream at night, and lotion during the day. It really helped. Good luck.
snowbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:12 AM   #3
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I always have a dry spot on my right index finger where I carry my yarn. Especially in the winter and especially when Im working with wool. Not so much with cotton and other fibers....

Ive found that a REALLY good way to get some moisture soaked into your hands is to slop on some GOOD lotion (I like Aveeno) and then wear rubber gloves to wash dishes. You can then use HOT HOT water. And, it gives you the same effect as a spa paraffin manicure. Except without the feeling of decadence.

And, yeah... I carry a crystal nail file in my knitting bag... you dont want to snag your yarn!
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:39 AM   #4
hedgehog
Knitting the Flap

Location: mind, heart and body in Oxford, England... and i follow The 'Grid on tour...
I don't like to use lotion very often (i'm funny about having greasy hands and lotion makes me feel that way). But i do make sure that i have nail clippers in my bag to take care of hangnails and i have Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme on hand to soften up my dry spots. It's WONDERFUL!

-hh

On Needles: Bobby from Rowan's Tadpoles and Tiddlers in KP Shine Sport on indefinite hold...
Reading: The God of Small Things by A. Roy
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:31 AM   #5
KellyK
Sock Yarn Bliss

Send a message via Yahoo to KellyK
I cant tell you how many mostly-full bottles of lotion I have because I tried them and they are too greasy... That's why I like Aveeno.
KellyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:41 AM   #6
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

Try mixing some oil (olive, massage, vegetable, baby) with some salt until it's a thick paste. Massage into your hands concentrating on the areas around the nails. Rinse, wash with mild soap if you feel it necessary. It will help with hang nails and dry skin quite a bit. Repeat as often as necessary.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
overnet
Casting On

hangnails & dry fingers
You guys are GREAT. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I'll be trying them all!
overnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
DonnaS
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to DonnaS Send a message via MSN to DonnaS Send a message via Yahoo to DonnaS
A good shea butter lotion won't be greasy and soaks in nicely, as well as working wonderfully on dry hands and nails

I also like the lotion, gosh can't think of the name of it, but it comes in a black and white cow marking container at walmart.. it's great and totally grease free
DonnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
Momma_Jo
1st Leg of the Journey

That's really weird, because I tend to have dry skin and yet no major issues with my hands despite knitting for hours daily. I've had some days where I knit for 8 or more hours and my skin was fine! I do put on some hand cream before going to bed though. I wonder if it depends on the yarn and needles you use? I use metal needles for almost all my projects since the stitches slide easier - I bet bamboo could be more irritating.

My problem is more about pain IN my fingers and palms - the same type of soreness I get from the gym. I thought it would go away once my hands got used to the strain from knitting, but no!

Maybe I'll have really muscular veiny fingers one day.
Momma_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
cocoa
Ribbing the Cuff

Are you get enough vitamin E?
I've heard emu oil is very,very good.
Dee.
cocoa is offline   Reply With Quote