Old 11-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
ga_addict
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to ga_addict
Guitar strap help!!!!Please Read!

I am planning on making the quitar strap for christmas. However I need to find out how to make one adjustable and i need to find out how they hook . Is there a type of fastener I can get for this? Does any know???? I am soo lost on this project and if i don't get started soon, It won't be a christmas present. If anyone knows I would really appreciate any help i could get on this.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-06-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

This site has any kind of fastener you could ever want. I think for a guitar strap, you would want to look at their "buckles" sections.

Are you using a pattern that has an adjustable strap and you're just not sure how to do it? or are you hoping to add the adjustable part??
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
ga_addict
Casting On

I am hoping to add theadjustable part, since ever ploy that I have tried used to get the length out of him has failed. I am actually going to draw up the schematics for the strap. I am going to do the peace sign and then add his name to it.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

If you have some kind of belt or strap at home in a similar style to how you'd like the adjustable strap to work, it would be a good place to start. You'd also want to make sure that you use a yarn that's not so fuzzy that it's impossible to slide the adjuster up and down.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
ga_addict
Casting On

is there differnt types of adjustable straps? I was thinking like you would have on a overall strap. That buckle type thing. But want the excess to be in the back,so not to hide the design. Any suggestions as to what might work best and how long it would need to be to accomplish this would be helpful. Thanks for all your help so far!!
Old 11-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Something like would be used for an overall strap would be just the thing for this. It would probably just be easiest to take a look at a pair of overalls, see how it's constructed and put together, and go from there.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Okay, this will probably sound cheesy, but since you don't know what size to make it, maybe you can make something that attaches to the strap he's using now... sort of like a seat-belt cover, KWIM?

Hmm... do you know how tall he is? DH is a little over 6'2" -- I could measure one of his for you, if you want, though I'm not sure people always hold their guitars the same way. Might give you a decent guesstimate, though.

Anyway, if you haven't come across it already, here's a knitty pattern for a girly, non-adjustable guitar strap. I know it's not what you want, but it may be helpful as far as explaining how to reinforce it to keep it from stretching.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:02 AM   #8
dek_n_bloom
Casting On

When you've figured out how to do your guitar strap, would you mind posting the pattern? I would appreciate it so much! I've been trying to figure out what to knit my boyfriend and a guitar strap would be the perfect thing (especially with a peace sign!).

Thanks so much,
Denise
dek_n_bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
Loolee
Ribbing the Cuff

Check out the "I must know how to do this" thread. Right now it is about 5 above this one. That would make a great guitar strap... the post above mine has a link to show exactly how it is done.
Loolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #10
ga_addict
Casting On

Thanks everyone for trying to help me. I have seen that one, it is where i am getting the basic pattern from. Or was but since I can not get a decent answer from a man in my family. I am going to try Michaels later today and see if anyone there can be of help. And when i do get this bloody thing worked out. I will post it here and on my 360 page so that it is out there for people like me that could use the help!!! Sheesh this is turning into such a headache and I haven't even started knitting yet As far as the guy that is 6'2; I don't think he will be of any help. My brother in law isn't ,but probably 5'8. So i think there back sizes are going to be different.