Old 11-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Sooze
Ribbing the Cuff

Best information on 'washing yarns' All types
I read Yarn Harlot had to wash all her yarn once, but don't remember the process....it's just that the yarn has been stored for 10 years plus, and needs 'refreshening' (no moth problems)
I have cotton, silk, wool, blends, you name it...where should I go to find expert advise..does anyone know?
Thanks for any help~
Sooze is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
Angelia

Yarn Harlot had to wash her yarn because of moth problems. She even microwaved it... But, the problem was more than "stale" or "dirty" yarn.

You'll likely have to treat each fiber differently, but I think the concept is the same for all: soak it in a very wee bit of soapy water in the tub, then rinse it (for the wool you can use a no-rinse wool wash like Eucalan). Then, regardless of type, roll it in towels to get out the excess water (don't wring it, as that will stretch the yarn). You might have to do several towel rolls to get out as much water as you can. Then let it dry flat, maybe in front of a fan or two to speed the drying. As long as the yarn isn't "dry clean only," as some acrylics and silks are, the process above should work fine. Just be sure to double-check the care instructions on the yarn labels.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

Also, if the yarn is in balls, you will probably want to put it in hanks before washing so that it will be cleaned throughout and dry completey. Unless you have some major issue (moths, irritating smell, etc) that you really need to address, I would probably wait and wash only what you need for a project right before (or after) you make it. Good luck!

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Sooze
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you everyone
WEll, It seems that I am very lucky, as it's just the one hank that had a bit of a stale smell.That one hank, was not stored properly. All the rest of it is just fine...stored in plastic etc...

And no moths...eek!

I remember years ago, as a child watching my mother shaking yarn over plastic, and listening closely, just as YH did, to check for larvae..

A yarn owners nightmare, I'm sure!

As for putting it in the mocrowave, it takes a much braver soul than "I"
Sooze is offline   Reply With Quote