Old 11-06-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
Loolee
Ribbing the Cuff

Doing stripes in a sweater and changing colors...
I am working on my dd's sweater. In doing the stripes, I am just breaking the yarn when I go to the new color. Then I was planning on going back and weaving in the ends. It seems there should be a better way to do it, but I haven't seen it yet. How should I be doing this? Do I need to redo it, or will it be ok as is?

Also, I am kniting this in garter (uh, I think... straight knit stictch LOL). Will it be ok that way?

Thanks!
Loolee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

If you have wide stripes then it's preferable to cut the yarn and weave in the ends later, as you're doing. There's also the option to 'carry the yarn' up the sides. In other words, not cutting it every time and when you are at a color change you just bring the new colour up under the old colour so the two strands twist once together, and then keep knitting.

It is just fine the way you're doing it, just a lot of weaving in later. I've got one like that going on right now too so I know how you're feeling!!
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:29 AM   #3
Loolee
Ribbing the Cuff

I have felt the *need* to cut the strands, b/c if I don't, they get all tangled. Is there a way around them getting tangled when not in use?
Loolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
Idyll
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via ICQ to Idyll Send a message via MSN to Idyll
May I recommend this method, called "double knit-in-join" on this website!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...iques/misc.php
(Great video!)

Unless you are using very bulky yarn, I think this is the best! Imagine if you made a sweater with 10 stripes (conservative), that's a total of 30-odd colour changes (for body & 2 sleeves) or SIXTY ends to weave in. It makes my eyes well up with tears just thinking about it.

But using this method you can cut the yarn ends short, and don't even need to think about weaving.
Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

You could weave in as you go. Knit some, weave some. Might break up the monotony, and you'll have fewer strands to get in the way.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
That's what I was going to say, too. Weave them in periodically so you're not overwhelmed at the end, and they'll be out of your way.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote