Old 11-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
knitknitknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Giving Continental a Try...
OK.. So I have been working on a sweater that's knit in the round and have frogged it two times already.. too bad so sad.. It is a pretty easy sweater and knits up really quickly but the first time I messed up on the sleeve hole and the second time I realized the size small was just a smidge too small for me so I am now going to make it in a medium (I measured into a small and I could have pulled it off but the loose style is in right now and that was the look I was going for). Anyhoo I was about to attempt it again last night and knit about 6 rows when I just got tired of looking at the yarn! sorry had to vent!

So I found a pretty yarn from my stash and just started knitting... I decided to be adventurous by trying a few rows continental style (which is a bit awkward at first). I have learned that I knit pretty tightly in this style, but when I first learned to knit english style I could barely get my needle through the yarn so I'm thinking that i just knit tightly when I'm learing a new technique! Despite the tightness, my goal is to master it by the end of this project! I know it's only in a boring garter stitch, but I may try a few other stitch patterns once I get comfortable knitting continental!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	purple_scarf.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	33150  

otn: small throw for the back of my chair

book: Eat Pray Love
knitknitknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

congrats on trying a new knitting style! I began as an English knitter and switched to conti knitting several months ago, I really enjoy conti knitting much more than English now...of which i never thought I would! Good Luck

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Momma_Jo
1st Leg of the Journey

I've always knitted continental....never even heard of something like "English" until moving to North America. And it sounds like conti is cooler anyway, so I have no intention of learning English either!
Momma_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #4
CreativeCreature
Ribbing the Cuff

I just recently taught myself how to knit and didn't realize there was any certain 'way' to do it. Until I found this site. I tried to knit the English way and couldn't stand it so I tried the Continental and I it. It's so much easier and fast than the other way.

As for what I'm knitting- eh! I started a scarf using super cheapy yarn from a kids' knitting kit, just to get the hang of knitting. It's ugly and looks very sad so far. LOL But I must say that as I go along, I can see a difference in the uniformity of my stitches. So I am improving. Will be giving the ugly scarf to my 7 y.o. daughter, she won't notice nor care how sad it is.

I also started a scarf for my 9 y.o. as a project to keep in my bedroom and I hope it turns out better. LOL I'm using cheapy yarn for that too, again just to work on my technique. I really want to start a nicer project but I don't feel quite brave enough yet.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
knitknitknit
Ribbing the Cuff

I def feel like I won't enjoy conti as much, but I'm going to give it a go.. my main issue right now is pulling the yarn through... sometimes my needle just doesn't want to grab it! Rebecca, how long did you knit english style before switching?

I feel like feeding the yarn is a little more difficult than throwing it.. sometimes I hold it too tight and other times too loose! what to do what to do but practice practice practice!

I feel like the more experienced knitters knit continental and I'm trying to step up my game!

CreativeCreature -- at least you have kids that will appreciate it! I can't do anything with my duds!

Old 11-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
CreativeCreature
Ribbing the Cuff

I couldn't get the hang of 'throwing' the yarn. I was so slow and it felt very akward to me. When I tried Conti. it worked so much easier for me. When I crochet I wrap the yarn through my fingers too so I'm used to that and I feel it give me more control.

As far as giving duds away- do you have nieces or nephews? Children of friends? Or you could donate to local shelters? I'm sure you could find someone who'd appreciate your work, no matter how much you are dissatisfied with it. Or you could send them to me and I'll give them to my kids too. LOL

Old 11-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
knitknitknit
Ribbing the Cuff

haha I usually wind up stopping the project once I see it is becoming a dud and try to make something cooler... no neices or nephews yet.. I may have to send them to your kids! haha

Old 11-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
CreativeCreature
Ribbing the Cuff

Okay, my kids can be your surrogate nieces and nephew. I have 4 kids (1boy, 3girls) so you have lots of opportunities to get rid of things. LOL

Old 11-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Keep trying and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. I knit continental but had to teach myself English so I could 2 handed stranding for the sweater I'm working in, and so I could teach a friend to knit who was getting frustrated with continental. I'm much looser doing English, I think mostly because I can't get my fingers to hold on to the yarn tight enough. They just aren't used to it yet. But I'm getting better, and you will, too.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
cgd
1st Leg of the Journey

I can do the knit stitch in conti, but can't for the life of me get the hang of purling in that style. I'm also so strongly right-handed, nowhere near ambidextrous, so it's English for me