Old 11-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
Momma_Jo
1st Leg of the Journey

100% wool suggestions
I'm a sucker for fancy and combo yarns, but 100% wool is just so cheap. And so itchy. Is there anything cool I could knit out of 100% wool? I still itch at the memory of this wool sweater my mother had knit me when I was like 10.
Momma_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
meg
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to meg
how about somehting you can felt and maybe line?like gloves or slippers? there is a cute clog pattern floating around here. also, how about some great bags? felted bags are fun and you can mix and match your yanrs and add extras like flowers.

meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
Momma_Jo
1st Leg of the Journey

I really don't like felted stuff, sorry...
Momma_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
How about merino wool? It's all wool and very soft so you could wear it over skin.

sue, who isn't into felting things either
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
meg
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to meg
it was just a thought!

meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
DragonTush
1st Leg of the Journey

You could still make a purse..just don't felt it. Or bags..or a belt?

My Blog
DragonTush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

I know it's probably a sin to say this here, but I don't like knit bags either, felted or otherwise. (I do like felted slippers though)

Seems to me that leatherwork is far more appropriate for bags. Just like I feel weaving is more appropriate for scarves.

No offence to anyone, but it seems like some people would knit an entire house if they could. Not everything lends itself to knitting. My two cents.

What about knit toys, teddy bears and such. Or dog sweaters, do you have a dog? They have fur, so wool doesn’t really bother them.

Quote:
How about merino wool? It's all wool and very soft so you could wear it over skin.
Merino is great for all sorts of things that touch the skin, however it is generally very expensive. I think Momma_Jo's point was that she is encouraged to do more work with 100% regular sheep's wool because it is affordable, durable and high quality, but has trouble finding projects as most knit things are generally intended to touch the skin.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
DragonTush
1st Leg of the Journey

Quote:
I know it's probably a sin to say this here, but I don't like knit bags either, felted or otherwise. (I do like felted slippers though)
It's never a sin to voice ones opinion. It is, after all, only an opinion.

What a person knits, is that persons choice. If I didn't like what I was knitting ..well, I wouldn't knit it ( unless someone begged me to do it...someone I love dearly at that). That is one of the joys of knitting. Artist creativity is boundless and what art is loved by everyone?

My Blog
DragonTush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by MrTea

Quote:
Merino is great for all sorts of things that touch the skin, however it is generally very expensive. I think Momma_Jo's point was that she is encouraged to do more work with 100% regular sheep's wool because it is affordable, durable and high quality, but has trouble finding projects as most knit things are generally intended to touch the skin.
Ah but knitpick's merino style is only $2.49 per skein. There's about 120 yds per skein, so it would take about 8 or 10 for a sweater. That's pretty affordable. The very cheapest way to get yarn is to check out thrifts stores and use the yarn from there though.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #10
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by suzeeq
Ah but knitpick's merino style is only $2.49 per skein. There's about 120 yds per skein, so it would take about 8 or 10 for a sweater. That's pretty affordable. The very cheapest way to get yarn is to check out thrifts stores and use the yarn from there though.
Holy Crow! That's a great price! What's the catch? Seems like they have lots of colors to choose from too. The website even says it will felt, so it's probably not too chemical soaked either.

Thanks for the tip suzeeq. I may have to try some myself.