Old 11-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
hapagirl
Ribbing the Cuff

What's in yer wallet?
So ... I'm a fairly new and OBSESSED knitter and I'm struggling trying to find the perfect bag to tote my knitting around with me. I bring my knitting to work, and knit in our lounge during my lunch hour. I'm currently knitting scarves, with no more than 2 different yarns at a time. Will you all please share pictures of your knitting totes with me? Or share what works/what doesn't work for you ... I'd like you to use your recommendations before I run out and buy more bags (another obsession of mine )

Thanks!

We're online!

FO: Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone Gryffindor Scarf
hapagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

This is what I use to tote my knitting to work, but then again, I am a man.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	jumboversipack.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	33184  
Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

When I take knitting with me somewhere, I usually try to go with a small project, like socks. I'll put everything in a ziploc baggie and then stuff it into one of my larger handbags. Pretty boring, huh? The idea of carrying an extra bag just for knitting doesn't appeal to me, I guess.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
lol loved your title to this...

There are sooooo many knitting bags I'd love to have.. I collect bags like I do shoes!! Being a SAHM though doesn't really give me a lot of chances to go out and knit... unless its dr appts or something I know I'll have time with... so I got the Knitpicks bag.. http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/itemi.../tools_display
I bought the medium, the purse organizer, the tool pouch, and the chart keeper as well.. I use the chart keeper even when I'm at home it comes in real handy. I can find all my purse items cause its up front in the organizer... Its a really easy bag to use.. only thing I'd change besides having color options is getting the large instead... which I plan on doing soon

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
nonny2t
Instepping Out

I was goofing around one day looking at designr diaper bags for my dil, who is expecting her first baby in June and saw a knitting tote for $300, ya interested?????? Most of the baby ones were like $250-400!!!! I mean, COME ON, they are just stupid bags to carry junk in not to carry gold bars from the mint!

Mine is a HUGE "I Love Lucy" tote bag my son and dil bought mefor my birthday last year. I am kind of a lucy nut. My dd bought me the smaller version of the same bag and I take it with me when I want to just take one item to do at the doctor's office or something like that.
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

What about an L.L.Bean tote? They are affordable, come in all sorts of sizes and colors, last forever and have a lifetime guarantee.

Maybe not high fashion, but certainly practical.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I was actually thinking of getting an LLBean tote, too. You can choose your own colors on one version. I see the biggest drawback is not having all the pockets, but I suppose you could put a small bag in with it.

LLBean Totes
Search for "totes" and you'll get more choices as well I think.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

I have the KIPer bag from knitpicks.com. I really like it. I have the large one (as I wanted to be able to put my work stuff and my knitting (usually sweaters) in the same bag. I actually find it slightly too large and am considering buying the medium size one for other days. Although the large one made an EXCELLENT carry on bag for the plane. Room for personal items, snacks, mags and knitting!

I also have the knitpicks options needles which come in a little zipper book like a daytimer. That is very handy.

I think any bag that you like will work as a knitting bag, unless you want a bag that has specific pockets for needles, etc. I think Target has an excellent assortment of bags that cost about $20. I also saw a lot of really cute business satchels in Staples the other day that would make great knitting bags.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
after reading your reply Carmen.. I decided I better re check my tote... and I ordered the small I thought I had ordered the medium... so I should be safe going to Medium next and not the large... good thing I came back in here and read

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:40 PM   #10
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Nobody thought my bag suggesion was funny? Jeez, tough crowd today.