Old 11-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by brownishcoat
I knit pairs of socks at once on one long circular needle. It's called the Magic Loop technique.

That's the coolest thing i've seen in a while. Wow, both at the same time? I've been sort of turned off by the magic loop method as I like DPN's so much. But if you can make two socks at the same time, I think my opinion has changed.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat

Edited to add: I adapted mine to Magic Loop from a pattern for 2 circs. I loved it because the extra circ was an extra thing to get tangled with the yarn, and I had absolutely no laddering. I got ladders with 2 circs because of the extra needle.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #13
susanc
Turning the Heel

How do you adapt the pattern? I think that would be too complicated for me right now. I've only finished one sample sock to get the practice, and now I'm on to my first real sock! Any method that would get rid of those darn ladders would be worth learning. Do you think it's something a newbie could understand? How about patterns though ~ they aren't written for that method, so how do you "convert" them? Maybe I just better stick to dpns. I like dpns except for laddering that sometimes happens. It absolutely drives me nuts!

I'm a chick with sticks and I'm not afraid to use them!

susanc

http://susanc-yarnnut.blogspot.com
susanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #14
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
It would depend on the pattern.

That was my 3rd pair of socks, and the second with that pattern. The first time I made the socks with the 2 circs, so I was already familiar with the pattern before I started adapting.

Since I can't look at the pattern, I'd say stick with the instructions until you are a little more comfortable.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #15
susanc
Turning the Heel

Thanks! I think I'll stick to 5 dpns right now. I really like this method ~ it's just the darn laddering I get sometimes that drives me nuts. I guess it's just one of those things with dpns.

susanc

Old 11-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #16
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by susanc
Thanks! I think I'll stick to 5 dpns right now. I really like this method ~ it's just the darn laddering I get sometimes that drives me nuts. I guess it's just one of those things with dpns.
I've had trouble with ladders too, susanc. If you pull a little tighter on the second stitch of each needle it will tighten them up a bit. Also, you might try dropping down a needle size. Another thing I've found is that the ladders tend to mellow after some time and use.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:32 PM   #17
Hallegold
Ribbing the Cuff

I learned how to knit socks from Silver's amazing class so I learned on three DPNs--the fourth to knit.

Now I'm making the cancer bow socks from www.lloydknitting.com and because of the design, you have to divide the yarn between four DPNs. I'm wondering, for this kind of sock, can you use the magic loop method?

Thanks!
Hallegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #18
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Hallegold
I learned how to knit socks from Silver's amazing class so I learned on three DPNs--the fourth to knit.
I just use three for smaller diameter projects and four if there are going to be so many stitches that they get crouded on three needles.

Also, sometimes patters are written to use a certain number of DPN's. Sometimes it's just easiest to follow the pattern, regardless of whether you prefer 3 or 4.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #19
susanc
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MrTea
Originally Posted by Hallegold
I just use three for smaller diameter projects and four if there are going to be so many stitches that they get crouded on three needles.

Also, sometimes patters are written to use a certain number of DPN's. Sometimes it's just easiest to follow the pattern, regardless of whether you prefer 3 or 4.
I agree. I guess you really have to be flexible when it comes to knitting. Nothing is written in stone! I find it's really beneficial to be able to adapt to try different techniques. Knowlege is power! I'm making socks with 5 dpns right now, but I've seen patterns I want to make that use 4, so that's what I'll do! I like a challenge!

susanc