Old 11-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
ChristineDoucet
Ribbing the Cuff

very silly question
Hi
This maybe a very silly question. I was just wondering why some yarn is rolled in a ball and others are kinda like twisted?
Is it easier to knit with one compared to the other?
Thanks
Christine
ChristineDoucet is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I'm not sure there is any reason for either. The yarn that is in hanks tends to be more expensive yarn. You have to roll the hanks into balls to use it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

The question is not silly.

Yarn is packaged and sold in many different forms, the most common forms for hand knitting are...

Balls - look like a round ball
Skeens - similar to a ball but shaped more like a log
Hanks - large loop of yarn that is twisted and folded back onto itself and must be wound into a ball, before it can be used.

Usually the higher quality or hand spun yarns come packaged in hanks. However, don't assume a yarn is high quality simply because it comes in hanks. There are also a great many super high quality yarns that come in balls and skeens.

You may even come across yarns wound onto a roll or cone, although I believe those are designed to be used by a machine, but can also be used for hand knitting.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
I'm not sure there is any reason for either. The yarn that is in hanks tends to be more expensive yarn. You have to roll the hanks into balls to use it.
so you're paying more money to do the work of rolling it? Is there a reason for that, or is it just a silly mystery of yarn?
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Krystal
Originally Posted by Jan in CA
so you're paying more money to do the work of rolling it? Is there a reason for that, or is it just a silly mystery of yarn?
I have no idea.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
It could be the manufacturer trying to keep costs down. So that you are paying just for the yarn and not the work it takes to wind it into a ball or skein. This is just a theory, though.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Krystal
I think, in reality, you are actually paying less. The yarn manufacturer knows you are already paying a premium for premium yarn. They would have to raise the price of the already expensive yarn, if they were to wind it into a ball for you.

Also, I would assume that smaller yarn manufacturers can't afford the machines it takes to wind the yarn into balls.

Your LYS will generally, unless they are really busy, wind your hanks into balls at no charge.

You are comparing apples to oranges. They are not jacking up the price for the same product. You are paying more for a higher quality product. You are also supporting small business, which is sooo very important these days where everything is ultra-corporatized.

If you don't support small businesses, eventually we will all be knitting every project with Red Heart and eating all our meals at Ihop. Or worse yet standing in line all day with your ration cards to buy a few squares of Soylent Green.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
MrTea and I are on the same wavelength!

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

I read somewhere (probably here but I'm too lazy to do a search right now) that yarn is better kept in hanks since they're looser and thus less stressful to the fiber. Whether this is true, I don't know.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
MrTea
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
I read somewhere (probably here but I'm too lazy to do a search right now) that yarn is better kept in hanks since they're looser and thus less stressful to the fiber. Whether this is true, I don't know.
I would buy that. Why not?