Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
ChristineDoucet
Ribbing the Cuff
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Brunswich Canada
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very silly question
Hi
This maybe a very silly question. I was just wondering why some yarn is rolled in a ball and others are kinda like twisted?
Is it easier to knit with one compared to the other?
Thanks
Christine
ChristineDoucet is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,134
Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I'm not sure there is any reason for either. The yarn that is in hanks tends to be more expensive yarn. You have to roll the hanks into balls to use it.
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
MrTea
Knitting the Flap
 
MrTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 261
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The question is not silly.

Yarn is packaged and sold in many different forms, the most common forms for hand knitting are...

Balls - look like a round ball
Skeens - similar to a ball but shaped more like a log
Hanks - large loop of yarn that is twisted and folded back onto itself and must be wound into a ball, before it can be used.

Usually the higher quality or hand spun yarns come packaged in hanks. However, don't assume a yarn is high quality simply because it comes in hanks. There are also a great many super high quality yarns that come in balls and skeens.

You may even come across yarns wound onto a roll or cone, although I believe those are designed to be used by a machine, but can also be used for hand knitting.
__________________
I ain't goin' on no plane foo!
MrTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Krystal
Turning the Heel
 
Krystal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Posts: 643
Thanks: 208
Thanked 134 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA
I'm not sure there is any reason for either. The yarn that is in hanks tends to be more expensive yarn. You have to roll the hanks into balls to use it.
so you're paying more money to do the work of rolling it? Is there a reason for that, or is it just a silly mystery of yarn?
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,134
Thanks: 1,655
Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Krystal
Originally Posted by Jan in CA
I'm not sure there is any reason for either. The yarn that is in hanks tends to be more expensive yarn. You have to roll the hanks into balls to use it.
so you're paying more money to do the work of rolling it? Is there a reason for that, or is it just a silly mystery of yarn?
I have no idea.
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe
 
brownishcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Texas (Houston metro area - Southeast)
Posts: 6,269
Thanks: 18
Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
It could be the manufacturer trying to keep costs down. So that you are paying just for the yarn and not the work it takes to wind it into a ball or skein. This is just a theory, though.
__________________
Lisa Visit my LiveJournal blog and my flickr.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
MrTea
Knitting the Flap
 
MrTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 261
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Krystal
so you're paying more money to do the work of rolling it? Is there a reason for that, or is it just a silly mystery of yarn?
I think, in reality, you are actually paying less. The yarn manufacturer knows you are already paying a premium for premium yarn. They would have to raise the price of the already expensive yarn, if they were to wind it into a ball for you.

Also, I would assume that smaller yarn manufacturers can't afford the machines it takes to wind the yarn into balls.

Your LYS will generally, unless they are really busy, wind your hanks into balls at no charge.

You are comparing apples to oranges. They are not jacking up the price for the same product. You are paying more for a higher quality product. You are also supporting small business, which is sooo very important these days where everything is ultra-corporatized.

If you don't support small businesses, eventually we will all be knitting every project with Red Heart and eating all our meals at Ihop. Or worse yet standing in line all day with your ration cards to buy a few squares of Soylent Green.
__________________
I ain't goin' on no plane foo!
MrTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe
 
brownishcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Texas (Houston metro area - Southeast)
Posts: 6,269
Thanks: 18
Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
MrTea and I are on the same wavelength!
__________________
Lisa Visit my LiveJournal blog and my flickr.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset
 
janelanespaintbrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,824
Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I read somewhere (probably here but I'm too lazy to do a search right now) that yarn is better kept in hanks since they're looser and thus less stressful to the fiber. Whether this is true, I don't know.
__________________
~Jane

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #10
MrTea
Knitting the Flap
 
MrTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 261
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
I read somewhere (probably here but I'm too lazy to do a search right now) that yarn is better kept in hanks since they're looser and thus less stressful to the fiber. Whether this is true, I don't know.
I would buy that. Why not?
__________________
I ain't goin' on no plane foo!
MrTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
probably a silly question, but... poppyday How-to Questions 6 08-23-2009 01:33 PM
I'm sure this is a silly question... jgoible How-to Questions 3 03-11-2008 06:58 PM
Silly MSCS Question. Really, it's silly. stacyk9 Pattern Central 8 02-27-2008 06:50 AM
So maybe this is a silly question... drummerboi202 General Knitting 11 02-15-2008 11:09 AM
silly question ginelle How-to Questions 3 12-15-2006 01:21 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 PM.