Old 11-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Mrs. D.
Ribbing the Cuff

Circulars
I am a fairly new knitter, been crocheting for years. I just can't get the hang of them. I know I see a lot of posts where others say they do everything on them. I got a pair of bamboo (Takimu??) circulars to try and was trying to knit a hat because there would be no seam. But when I cast on, the stitches on the loop part were loose and I know the should be to slide back and forth but I just can't get the tension together. I really like the dpns which I guess accomplish the same thing. I am working on a headband pattern that called for circulars but I used dpns. I also read where if you are doing an afghan or something large the circulars are easier on you. Because of the popularity of the circulars I feel I should keep trying to work with them but because it is so frustrating to me, would I be limiting myself with regards to what I will be able to make if I stick with straights and dpns? What do you think?

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.” Martin Luther King, Jr.

Knit-Alongs:

Valentine "Heart" KAL FO

Mrs. D. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
Calamintha
Knitting the Flap

Before giving up on the circs (they're incredibly useful) I would recommend trying different types. If you don't like the bamboo circs maybe you would like metal ones like Addi Turbos.
Calamintha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes the stitches will be looser on the cord (is that what you meant by loop?) because it's a smaller diameter than the needle tips. Don't worry about that, the stitches get made on the ends where they're the right tension.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Some things just have too many stitches for dpns. Suseeq is right--it's ok that the stitches are on the cord--they're supposed to be. It is important, though that your circular needle is not too long for your project.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote