Old 11-09-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
Mama2Chloe
Casting On

How to get a lost stitch back - NEWBIE QUESTION
OK, I've looked at DVDs and in an ancient book I own and here (but can't figure out how to search it correctly!) and the one troubleshooting item I cannot find is what to do when I mess up a stitch and need to undo it. How do I 'replace' it?

For example, today I noticed that I split the yarn with my needle on a stitch (about 10 stitches back)... how do I get back there, correct it, and re-do it?

I'm sure there is an easy answer - can someone just point me in the right direction? THANKS!
Mama2Chloe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-09-2006, 01:10 AM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
honestly i would either tink back (knit backwards) or just wait until i came back around to it and fix it before knitting it.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:36 AM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Take a look on this page under 'Fixing Mistakes' - you'll find videos demonstrating how to fix the most common errors in knitting (and believe me, it happens to all of us!).
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:55 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No need to knit back or unravel. Knit till you get to that column of stitches then unravel them back to the stitch that's split. Take a crochet hook or another needle then pull the bars of the dropped stitches through the loops one by one.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
For 10 stitches, I'd 'unknit' back and fix it. Just insert your left needle in the loop below the first one on the right needle and let the stitch slide off to unknit.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Ooops, it was late and I read 10 `stitches' back, as 10 `rows' back. Yep, just go back to that stitch and let 'er drop...

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Actually, you don't have to tink (unknit by knitting backwards). You can just slip the stitches one by one from the right to left needle without undoing them. After you fix the split stitch, you can just put them back the same way.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
Originally Posted by janelanespaintbrush
Actually, you don't have to tink (unknit by knitting backwards). You can just slip the stitches one by one from the right to left needle without undoing them. After you fix the split stitch, you can just put them back the same way.
This is the way I would do it, too. Plus, you wouldn't be confused about where you left off (when putting the stitches back), because your working yarn would be there to keep you straight.

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #9
Mama2Chloe
Casting On

THANKS ladies- and thanks for such a nice response to my FIRST post in this forum!!!!

OK - I've got it! Thanks for all of the replies. I'm not sure how I missed the 'mistakes' section but I'll peruse that before posting as well.

Ashley
Old 11-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #10
Mama2Chloe
Casting On

Originally Posted by Ingrid
For 10 stitches, I'd 'unknit' back and fix it. Just insert your left needle in the loop below the first one on the right needle and let the stitch slide off to unknit.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
The other day, I just ended up unraveling and starting over (I was only on the 2nd row of about 50 stitches.

Today, I'm on about the 15th row and I noticed this... actually, I purled where I should have knitted... and I just simply did this and presto! OK, as a newbie, I'm so excited! Unknitting doesn't seem to be shown anywhere either but then again, I hardly know what to look for!!

WOOOO HOOOOOOOO! Happy dance here!