Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
MyGirlFriday
Casting On

New to Knitting
I decided to try my hand at knitting......I recently picked up Stitch n' Bitch.....I am hoping that will be what I need to learn the basics.

A friend encouraged me to check out the knitting technique videos so that if I get frustrated with the book I can see the live action.

Are there other tips that ya'll can offer??? Words of encouragement maybe??

Thanks in Advance!
mgf~
MyGirlFriday is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Welcome to knitting, and to this site!

I think the best thing you can do is become familiar with casting on, put a bunch of stitches on some knitting needles and just go at it. Practice the knit stitch first, do lots and lots of rows of just knit stitches just to get the hang of it, then try to tackle the purl stitch. Once you're comfortable with those two things, the sky is the limit! And when you run into trouble, we're all here ready to help out!

Practice, practice practice!!! xxx
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The videos here are excellent! Another good place to check technique is the Lion Brand site. They have some excellent drawings that I found very helpful.
Learn to Knit

Once you learn the stitches my next suggestion is familiarize yourself with what the stitches look like. It helps a lot when doing a pattern.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Don't think you have to start with just scarves. Once you know how to knit and purl, the possibilities are endless. Don't be afraid to try baby sweaters or socks, even! (And this is the best place EVER to learn to knit - the people here are the greatest!)
psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #5
doyvicios
Ribbing the Cuff

This is a very good site. When I first starting knitting the pics in the book that I was using wasn't doing it for me and the videos on this site are what helped so much. Now I check in all the time to see what others are knitting and I am going to try my first knit a long soon.

Blog:
http://meidontcare.blogspot.com
doyvicios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
moon
Ribbing the Cuff

That's a great book, and this is the best website. I also like knitty.com but they don't have videos.

It was hard for me at first because I had mistakes and some stitches that just looked icky. Don't give up. Your hands may also get sore but that pretty much went away for me, unless I'm knitting for hours on end.

I also find that having tea is the perfect thing to do while knitting.

It's also a good idea to try to find a local yarn store. The yarn and classes can be fantastic. Knitpicks.com is a good source because they are inexpensive. If you're like me you'll be in terrible need of a stash in a couple weeks.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
Mom2Rebecca
Ribbing the Cuff

Dont give up! I first tried a few months ago and just couldnt get the tension right so I gave up. I picked up my needles again this week and something is clicking! Now that I finally have the right tension I can actually start to make something!
And ditto to other posters that this site is AWESOME, my questions are always answered very quickly by these nice folks
Jessica
Mom2Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Getting the right tension just takes practice. After you get comfortable making the stitches, you'll usually relax and the tension will sort itself out.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote