Old 11-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
ebrperk
Knitting the Flap

ARGHHH!!!!! Frustrated and need advice
My daughter who is six cut my yarn on the sock that I was working on. I think I have enough to make a new sock or should I just rejoin and weave in the ends. It is a self striping sock.

Everybody is somebody elses weirdo.

OTN--Branching Out Scarf
OTN--Naga Socks
ebrperk is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-11-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Re-join as close to the right spot in the stripe pattern as you can, and weave in the ends later. It's not really any different than running across a knot in the yarn, which is equally as frustrating .

Hope you get it sorted out.
knitqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
And then hide the scissors.

My 6yo had her scissors IN HER MOUTH the other day! She is the queen of cutting things out, so grounding her from the scissors for a few days has made quite the impression.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
CreativeCreature
Ribbing the Cuff

Oh boy! I cringe for you. I hate kids and scissors. It's such a bad combo. I am sorry I don't have any useful advice, just lots of sympathy. I try to keep scissors away from all my kids. Even the older ones can't be trusted. My 9 yo daughter chopped off a big chunk of hair right above her forhead a few weeks ago. It's growing out now and looks insanely stupid now. I had to cut her some bangs to try and cover it up. Every time I look at her I am annoyed all over again.

I sure hope you can fix this and that you find a good hiding spot for those scissors!!

Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
Pink Dandelion
Knitting the Flap

:( that must have been frustrating...

My little nephew's favorite thing to do when he finds knitting down is pull the needles out of my knitting, and somehow I still keep leaving it down when he's over ... he's a toddler with insatiable curiosity, that can't stand not to know what happens if you pull something this way, or push something that way
His little sister on the other hand has, at such a young age, somehow developed a respect for knitting. She even likes to try on socks-in-progress, needles and all.

Some years ago I was over at a friends house when her 6 year old brother came out and had given him and his 3 year old sister 'hair cuts'. They already had pretty short hair so there was very little that could be done to fix it, and they had family pictures coming up the next day! Needless to say that family pictures were canceled

I'm PinkDandelion at Ravelry!
Pink Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:24 PM   #6
CreativeCreature
Ribbing the Cuff

So far my kids have kept their paws off my knitting but I KNOW the day is coming when my 3 year old will pull needles out of something I'm working on. She's ornery like that. LOL

I'm tellin' ya, kids and scissors do not mix. Period. I know they love to cut paper and stuff but they also love to cut just about anything else too. LOL Hair is the top of my list. Makes me nuts to see them do it.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to skNYC Send a message via Yahoo to skNYC
I would teach her how to knit.
skNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
You know how they always tell you, "Don't run with scissors, or they'll go up your nose"?

When I was in kindergarten or first grade, a little boy was running with scissors, and sure enough, he stabbed himself in the nose and there was blood everywhere. And here 5 year old me was thinking that was just one of those things they tell you to scare you.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:38 AM   #9
newamy
Working the Gusset

Well I'm sorry about your knitting but maybe you should look at it from your daughters perspective because I have been there...

Once upon a time I was 5 or 6 years old. My mom used to sew a lot, frequently dresses for me. (I have to set the stage here) We lived in a double wide mobile home. The master bedroom was at the back with a large vanity area off the bedroom, no door, just wide open area. She had her sewing machine against the wall opposite the sinks. She laid her patterns and fabric out on the bed. So I liked to hang out with mom. I was in there watching her sew. She had fabric on the bed. She had patterns on the bed. Her bed wasn't made. She had scissors on the bed. I was fascinated watching her cut and snip and sew and I wanted to help. So when she returned to the sewing machine I remember saying to myself "I will help." So I picked up those nice big sharp black handled scissors and started cutting the first thing at hand: The SHEETS! Mom came back over to the bed and saw what I was doing, she must have said something angry to me; I cried and cried and told her I had wanted to help. She immediatley understood and forgave me and told me not to feel so bad.

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote